Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-2007, 12:14 AM

Default NLTRN - Check In the Dark Strategy; What do you guys think?

When dealing with a pretty solid LAG player who raises preflop from the small blind 70%-85% of the time, I find it difficult to play premium hands out of position.

Within the first two blind levels (10/20 and 15/30 - starting with 1500 chips) I am uncomfortable reraising his 2x or 3xbb raise. Ideally, with a premium hand in this situation I would like to raise to about 7x or 8xbb.

The problem is that he's calling my reraise with a wide range of hands (do to pot odds and position), and a C-bet on the flop commits a pretty nice portion of my stack. If I miss a flop completely with AK,AQ,AJ instead of C-betting, I have been working on a "check in the dark" like move.

I am not announcing a check in the dark; instead I am hitting the check button almost instantly when the flop comes out.

If you use this move a few times througout the match, the opponent becomes aware that you are checking to him regardless of the flop, making him the first to act.

ON THE FLOP
If I quick check to the button and he makes a bet, I feel much more comfortable making a strong raise here rather than leading out (assuming he knows I've quick checked).

IF HE CHECKS THE FLOP (after I make my quick check)
I like leading out with a strong bet on the turn, assuming the turn is not a scare card.

What do you guys think of this type of play? Is this something that can be used successfully, or am I hurting myself by giving my opponent a free card when I am holding premium cards.

So far it has worked pretty well, but I AM playing at low stakes.

Should I not even bother with tricky plays like this at low stakes, or is it a good idea to work on these things before I try them at higher stakes?