Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-27-2007, 04:48 PM

Default I Know I Exist but I\'m not so Sure about You

I've seen it asserted that Subjective Experience is not a reliable guide to "Truth". So we should limit outselves to that which can be logically deduced or objectively shown scientifically for reasonable representations of the "Truth".

Yet isn't the OP Topic a clear example where subjective experience provides a greater degree of certainty, a more "reliable guide" than objective empirical evidence or logical argument? You can show me all the empirical evidence and make all the logical arguments about the "Truth" of your existence. But they can never carry as much weight as my subjective experience for the Truth that I exist. There's always the possiblity that I'm somehow dreaming my life and everthing in it. So maybe you all are just figments of my imagination. I don't think you can produce arguments that deep down cast the same doubt on my conviction that I exist. I need no arguments or science to convince me of it and no arguments can sway me from my conviction. I subjectively "know" it and in this particular instance my subjective "knowledge" is greater than any objective knowledge on the same issue.

Notice I'm not claiming any Descartes type implications for this. I'm also not saying this example is not unique. However I think it is an example where subjective experience is more "reliable" than empirical scientific evidence or logical argument.

PairTheBoard