Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 11:58 AM

Default trapping with big pocket pairs

i usually play in small buyin guaranteed multi's.$5 to $10 buyins mostly.do you think it is correct to try this limp reraise trap in this small multis or am i making a poor play here by limping in UTG with my KK & AA?any feedback will be greatly appreciated thank you.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:10 PM

Default Re: trapping with big pocket pairs

I think given the play of the small buy-ins, you should just raise your high pairs strong. Especially if most raises are being called at the table. If there's been a lot of raising behind limpers, I'd definitely consider a limp. If its HU (after a raise behind your limp), just call the raise. If you get more callers you should probably re-raise.

Although its ok to limp and vary your play, I don't see much incentive to do this most of the time. It also matters what point your at in the tourney, and the relative stacks at your table.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:20 PM

People in these tournaments are very unfamilliar with their fold buttons, especially in the early stages. If you get a high pocket pair, raise pot sized, and teh fishies to value town as much as you can.

The frustrating thing about these tournaments is that you can't accumulate chips by taking down small bots on stabs. So when you get a high pocket pair, take donks to valuetown, and try to double up.

The limp/reraise is bad because most opponents in these things are loose/passive, and don't really like raising preflop. Most of the time you'll just get a multiway limped pot, which obv. sucks for you.

If you somehow are at a table where you aren't getting action with AA, then you probably shouldn't worry about that, but start taking the blinds frequently.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:06 PM

As a low stakes player the biggest mistake I see is limping with big pairs. Just today I had 86o on the BB and was limped to then busted a guy with KK when the flop came J88. No question I would have folded to a 3X raise in this spot, but even then most players at the table would have called him with suited connectors, two face card and underpairs. I bet these hands strongly looking and expect that I'm going to get called.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:52 PM

Agree, I play in these mostly as well and all limping does is create a sea of limpers. Then you're UTG with 5 people in behind you. Especially early/middle of these tourneys you can expect a call from someone when you make it 3-4x BB in this situation. Only time this works is when you have the guy who goes all in every hand at your table, and then its beautiful.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:58 AM

I stopped limping with AA and KK.

I still remember the hand. I limp utg, button (with 10 4 off or something along the same quality) calls. Then proceeds to stack me.

At least now, someone always has to pay to suck out on me

Cornells post, excellent!
Old 03-28-2007, 06:30 AM

In these low buyins you're better off raising big cos you're gonna be called with anything..
Old 03-28-2007, 09:23 AM

what i generally do is when i limp with my big pocket pairs and dont get a raise is play very cautiously post flop very carefully.so i dont go broke.like they say dont go broke in a unraised pot.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:55 PM

I say never limp with big pairs, the only time is if you're 100% sure you're going to get reraised, or you're a very short stack late in the tournament, and every limper adds a decent amount to your stack if you win it..
Old 03-28-2007, 11:13 PM

You should minraise preflop with small pairs. While limping is a good option it does let in hands like Q7o and T5s for cheap and then it will be hard to get away from your POCKET ROCKETS once you have trapped them and they river two pair.

Instead, you should minraise preflop. This prevents anyone from seeing the flop so cheap but STILL ensures you get action. Again, if someone calls you must still bet to get value, but you don't want anyone to fold so minbet EVERY street to make sure they call down with their bottom pair.

This way you don't let them outflop you in the BB for free, you get some monies from your BIG POCKET PAIRS and best of all, you will TRAP THEM into thinking their bottom pair is good.!!!!!!