Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 11:08 AM

Default Unwarranted deletion of post and ban in A/R

I'm usually an easy-going fellow. I have no problem observing rules and respecting authority. If I go to a party and the owner of the house says no smoking inside, well then I go out to smoke no matter how drunk. Likewise, if I'm participating on a privately owned website, I respect that there's no such thing as free spech and that the owners are in their full right to enforce any arbitrary rules they might like to.

If Mat Sklansky wanted everyone to post in all caps, I'd be the first one to glue down the Caps Lock on my keyboard.

However, what I don't appreciate is being misled about the rules, and then punished afterwards. Which, in my opinion, is what happened to a post of mine in A/R (Affiliates / Rakeback).

I PM'ed the moderator of the forum and asked if I was permitted to make a post about seeking help for an affiliate site I administer. To be sure I didn't do anything wrong, I asked specifically about what could be posted and what couldn't be posted.

So I posted the post. I don't want to get into trouble again, so I won't requote the whole post, but I basically offered a percentage of our earnings for assistance in marketing, SEO and traffic increase. The post was deleted/moved shortly afterwards and I found my account banned for two days on the grounds that my post was "spam to get sub affiliates". This doesn't make sense. My post contained exactly what I PM'ed the moderator of the forum it would be. Yes, I offered payment to anyone who would be interested to help out. Of course I did. Did the moderator really think I was hoping to get free services? And no, I wasn't looking to hire sub-affiliates - I was looking for a partner in my enterprise, which obviously is something quite different.

I'm curious, seeing as my post apparently was so out of line, exactly what the moderator thought my post would contain when I PM'ed him.

(I later made a post in the same forum where I told someone to check my profile, which admittedly may have been more out of line, but it shouldn't be considered spam either since it was an answer to a question posed. It should only be considered spam if it was unsolicited. Which it wasn't.)
Old 03-27-2007, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Unwarranted deletion of post and ban in A/R

1. You asked if you could make a help wanted post, I said OK. You then went on to make a long post looking for subs to help promote Titan Poker. It is really looking for a sub affiliate. You may not use A/R for that purpose as it would just be a useless spammy mess. When you approached me looking for help I assumed you meant a short post with a brief description of the job, not a long sub affiliate offer.

2. Your second post said "Look in my profile for a link on B2B rakeback" in response to a post looking for rakeback there. Directing people to look in your profile for a link is spam. Normally I would have just deleted it and warned you except for you had already made the other post the same day. I still have your "help wanted" post which is nothing more then looking for Titan Poker subs, which is spam.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You asked if you could make a help wanted post, I said OK. You then went on to make a long post looking for subs to help promote Titan Poker. It is really looking for a sub affiliate. You may not use A/R for that purpose as it would just be a useless spammy mess. When you approached me looking for help I assumed you meant a short post with a brief description of the job, not a long sub affiliate offer.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's a pretty liberal definition of a sub-affiliate. I was seeking help promoting my site, that is correct, and I also offered payment for that service. However, that is exactly what I told you I wanted to post in my PM to you. I really had no idea that my post would be considered "spamming for subs", and I'm still not sure where that line is being drawn.

Would it be OK if I make a new post where I simply state that I need help promoting a site; PM for details?
Old 03-28-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's a pretty liberal definition of a sub-affiliate. I was seeking help promoting my site, that is correct, and I also offered payment for that service.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you an affiliate? Are you wanting other sites to promote your affiliate site, and pay them for doing so?

Isn't that, by definition, seeking sub-affiliates?

Pardon my ignorance -- just trying to follow the story.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's a pretty liberal definition of a sub-affiliate. I was seeking help promoting my site, that is correct, and I also offered payment for that service.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you an affiliate? Are you wanting other sites to promote your affiliate site, and pay them for doing so?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what I thought. It doesn't sound like a liberal definiton. It sounds like THE definition. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what I thought. It doesn't sound like a liberal definiton. It sounds like THE definition. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
If that's what I wanted to do, then you might have had a point. Maybe I've phrased myself poorly here, but what I was seeking was to employ an associate in my affiliate business with skills in marketing, promoting and SEO. Not buying space on one or more random 3rd party websites. Quite different things in my humble opinion.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would it be OK if I make a new post where I simply state that I need help promoting a site; PM for details?

[/ QUOTE ]

no. you shouldn't have been given permission previously.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I've phrased myself poorly here, but what I was seeking was to employ an associate in my affiliate business with skills in marketing, promoting and SEO. Not buying space on one or more random 3rd party websites. Quite different things in my humble opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you for the clarification. This thread has become somewhat....convolfusionimated. Go figure.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no. you shouldn't have been given permission previously.

[/ QUOTE ]

He asked if he could make a post that he was hiring for his site. I told him that was fine not knowing it was going to be a sub affiliate pitch. I get asked this from time to time if people can make help wanted posts. Should I not allow these type of posts in A/R? Are there any other forums they can be made?
Old 03-28-2007, 07:27 PM

That's why we have a classified section.