Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2006, 12:38 AM

Default Tough Time with a Troublesome Ten-Ten Trick!

PS $3r. We're midway thru level 6 and I'm a bit below average, mp2 is a tad above and bb is short. I was just moved to the table 2 hands ago.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

SB (t7865)
BB (t4465)
UTG (t14190)
UTG+1 (t9875)
MP1 (t20810)
MP2 (t18280)
MP3 (t4405)
Hero (t7415)
Button (t5275)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls t200, MP3 calls t200, Hero calls t200, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t4465</font>, MP2 calls t4265, MP3 folds,

Hero ???

I wasn't worried about the BB at all, had seen him to this and checked the limited hh that I had access to so I'm comfortable with his range.

When MP2 calls, now I get concerned. Absent reads, he could want action or the lack of isolation move means he's marginal but has a "decent" hand.

I can't call, it's either fold or push and folding feels weak....thoughts? Thanks!
Old 01-04-2006, 01:07 AM

Default Re: Tough Time with a Troublesome Ten-Ten Trick!

I know this is the 3nd hour of the $3 rebuy. However, you have a raise to 22xBB and a call. I would fold TT.

It is the first limper who called. He could have been trapping. He is obviously pot committed to call anyone else in the hand and the flat call is also not a good sign.

I think there is too good a chance one of these guys has what he is representing and you are dominated. At best, at least one player has two over cards. So fold.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:25 AM

yeesh...
To make a call like this you would have to be able to assign a very tight range to MP's call. Mainly that he wasnt trapping and was making this call with mid-pair and maybe AJ.
Doesn't seem like we can do that. I'd part with TT here.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:38 AM

Ehh... if you had enough FE to isolate, I'd push. As it is it's tricky. I actually think it's unlikely anyone is trapping, but I also have a hard time assigning ranges to these two.
I usually call but I've also usually raised the first time which makes it easier. I also overplay these hands... but if BB is making a move, and MP2 has a smaller pair... hey, you look like a genius.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:52 AM

I have to agree that the BB push isn't what is worrysome. I have seen many players push from the Blinds following a table of limpers. I may have done it myself once or twice and it doesn't mean they have JJ+.

The limp call is strange. Is it an odd way to play AA hoping you'll love your hand soo.. much that you limped with it and feel compelled to play along?

I think we can put MP2 on a range that you beat. It could be a small pocket pair or a AT/AJ.

I believe the trouble really comes from the TT limp initiallly. Had you raised your T's to say 800 you would be able to put the BB on a tighter range, same goes for MP. As it stands I don't think MP is as strong as everyone believes. He limped PF then smoothcalled with 1 to act behind Yes. But that player, our hero, merely limped after multiple limpers showing no strength at all.

I think I push them in and take my chances.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:08 AM

Let's just fold and learn what hands MP2 plays this way. We have no info, and an easily dominated hand.

Sure MP2 invariably flips over 88, but that's poker.\

Edit: We decided to limp tens, let's suffer the consequences of that decision. We can't assume we're good just because we want it to be true. JMHO
Old 01-04-2006, 09:15 AM

I had nearly this exact situation last night... Only difference being I was BB, there was a table full of limpers Button pushed and SB called the push.

I read the button as a steal attempt or at least a "Hey it's worth a shot with all the chips in there" type of play and I was pretty sure the SB read the same thing. But I just didn't feel confident calling. (The ol' "There's always an Ace on the flop" fear in me.)

I chose to (unhappily) fold since it was early in the tourney. Button turned over 77 and SB turned over AJo.

I then chastised my weak-tight self for the next two rounds until my Kings got busted by Aces *sigh*
Old 01-04-2006, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the replies y'all appreciate it!

Hotrod, some interesting thoughts there, thanks!

And y'all are right, a raise pf woulda made this a little easier to define!

[ QUOTE ]
Edit: We decided to limp tens, let's suffer the consequences of that decision. We can't assume we're good just because we want it to be true. JMHO

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2006, 09:18 AM

Make it easier on yourself and raise pre-flop. When the same thing happens you know you're behind.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:42 AM

If you aren't dominated and a 4:1 underdog vs at least one of them here it's very likely that, at the very least, you have a lot of overcards to dodge across 5 cards which would make you the underdog vs. the total outs the other 2 players have combined. The only way you aren't a total underdog is if one of them holds an underpair to TT or they are both holding identical hands like AK. It doesn't look good enough for TT in this spot to push over the top. I would definitely fold here.