Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 08:46 PM

Default Drugs and poker

Last January I was prescribed Adderall because I have (legit) ADD. I found that my poker playing skills increased remarkably when I took Adderall before playing poker. I not only recieved benefits from the primary effect of the drug, increased focus, but also in near elimination of fatigue during long sessions and an increase in aggression. Tough decisions tha would normally have me very nervous have now become very simple and easy. I now take adderall before I play cards. Adderall is a strong amphetamine.

I have heard of pros taking uppers for long tournaments but I had never really given it much thought until now. I believe taking uppers gives an advantage in poke that increases the longer the session goes on(assuming everyone else is there as long as the player).

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I think it also brings up an issue of ethics. Uppers give poker players an advantage but they can also be dangerous in the long and short run, much like steroids. I compare this wth steroids because from my experience Adderall gives me a very profound advantage at the table much like steroids would to an athlete.

Should there be drug testing before tournaments?

I realize this would be near impossible for very large tournaments like the WSOP ME but it could be feasable for smaller tournaments like the WPT.

I am curious about how people feel about this.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:07 PM

Default Re: Drugs and poker

I don't mind 'performance enhancers', and if you think it gives you an edge, then go for it.

I'm a fan of stimulants, but I also want to try Inderal and modafinil in the near future.

I really don't think it's comparable to the steroid situation in sports, however.

Edit: I also have no idea how I ended up in this forum wtf.

Edit2: To elaborate further, I also have no real problem with steroid/other use in sports, unless it's been specified that such use isn't acceptable under whatever guidelines are in place. I'm all for pushing the human body to it's limits, and then beyond them.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:10 PM

poker is about judgement (as well as math but we will leave that part out.) any drug is going to affect your judgement. you say you become more aggressive. aggression is good but to an extent. the uppers just make it easier to push the raise button; so does alcohol. do you try to bully? obsevant players will notice this. im willing to say you become impatient when getting cold decked. also tilt easier. as far as endurance contests are concerned, coffee is legal to all and works just as well in suffiant quantities.

no, there should not be drug testing at tournies. its -EV for straight players and this is coming from someone who likes a couple hits of herb on occasion when playing.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:19 PM

I love my coffee and all but I hate having to take a piss like 6 times an hour in the quantities necessary to stay alert.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:16 PM

hook me up with a $few$ of them and i'll give you my opinion.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:57 AM

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream

[ QUOTE ]
I love my coffee and all but I hate having to take a piss like 6 times an hour in the quantities necessary to stay alert.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-27-2007, 01:59 AM

I am sure a lot of poker players use drugs in one form or another. There is a price for everything. Use in moderation!!! Treat drugs with respect and watch vigilantly for signs of addiction. Set limits for frequency and duration. Realize that these drugs cause premature metabolic aging.

I am against drug testing.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Realize that these drugs cause premature metabolic aging.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very very interesting. would you elaborate on this or link or soemthing? Now that you mention it hard core drug addicts really do look so freakin old.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:01 AM

If you have ADD, then adderall may help your poker playing. It does not follow that it will necessarily help a player who does not have ADD.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:05 AM

I'd be more worried about the long term health effects