Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 05:24 PM

Default Cold calling A5s in a multiplayer pot

The table has been pretty tight until this hand. BB blind and UTG+1 are TAGS. UTG+2 is semiloose but aggressive. MP3 is a LAG who has been feeding the TAGS.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

I seldom cold call but with the cold callers before me and little chance of a 3bet in the blinds behind me, I decided to play the A5s for the flush potential. I planned to fold on the flop if I didn't have a flush draw or some type of miracle flop.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Well, the flop would have been good except for the pair on the board and then the BB donk bets. I was decided to just call. ????

Turn: (7.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls.

With the paired board and the BB doing the 3-betting the alarms bells went off. I decided to call and go into a call down mode because the size of the pot.

River: (14.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16.25 BB

What do you guys think?
Old 03-26-2007, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Cold calling A5s in a multiplayer pot

The coldcall is bad. There was only three guys in the hand before you and your A5 is very, very often going to be dominated.

On the flop after the bet and two calls you should raise for value AND because it might buy you a free card if you don't get there on the turn.

You slowed down way too early. He would be correct (and likely) to play a lone 8 or an overpair that way.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:36 PM

I really want to raise the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
With the paired board and the BB doing the 3-betting the alarms bells went off. I decided to call and go into a call down mode because the size of the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have capped the turn and played to put in two bets or less on the river (call if bet into, bet-call if checked to). You think he in UTG+1 with 99, 98, or 22?

PS - And fold preflop to TAG's UTG+1 raise. You're usually not in good shape with A5s and it's not quite multiway enough for me to want to coldcall for flush-chasing. It's not awful, but I'd rather see one more coldcaller.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really want to raise the flop.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have capped the turn and played to put in two bets or less on the river (call if bet into, bet-call if checked to). You think he in UTG+1 with 99, 98, or 22?

PS - And fold preflop to TAG's UTG+1 raise. You're usually not in good shape with A5s and it's not quite multiway enough for me to want to coldcall for flush-chasing. It's not awful, but I'd rather see one more coldcaller.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. Cold calling was one of the things that had me questioning this hand.

Doc
Old 03-26-2007, 06:10 PM

I dont cold call this preflop as I think playing 2SB to chase a flush is -EV. Do you know what the chances are of getting a flush by the river when you have two suited cards and havent seen the flop yet? Also would you play A5o in this spot? I sure hope not....as an exercise, run pokerstove for these two hands.

As played, I cap the turn.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also would you play A5o in this spot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most definitely NOT!! Actually, I rarely cold call and this was the only time I did it this session.

Doc
Old 03-26-2007, 06:24 PM

The idea is that the the only difference between A5s and A5o is that you are going for a flush. Which comes in very rarely to put money in cold-calling. Once you got the flush you paid for, you need to raise with it to make up for those times you miss. This is a pretty safe board.

Edit: This is not to say that being suited isn't that important, because it is. A5s is going to be significantly better than A5o, naturally. But still not strong enough to cold-call here.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:52 PM

hero caps the turn
hero raises the river
Old 03-26-2007, 06:57 PM

Screw you all! I cold call this. GAMBOLL! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

My first thought was "Easiest flop raise ever". It's probably not that easy, but I still raise it. A free turn card would be oh-so-sweet in this massive pot. You're equity edge is pretty slim to nothing, but I think it's still worth a raise.

I cap the turn. If he still leads into you on the river, then thing about just calling.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:37 PM

Location: Hastings 3L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

preflop is probably fine.

Raise that flop, bigtime. You have perfect position, you're raise will be for value and you can take the free card.