Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 12:24 PM

Location: Hastings 3L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Default My 2L summer - some advice needed from law folks

Hey guys,

I'm almost done with my 2nd year at UC hastings, but I don't really have a plan for this summer. Last summer i just called around and got a job at a small firm, but I'd like to work somewhere for money. I didn't get a fat firm job, so I'm on my own again [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Currently I'm lining myself up for DA work after school. I've been working at the SF DA's office this whole year, have argued a few hearings and generally done well. My supervisor loves me so I should get a nice letter of recommendation. Next fall I have a externship at the U.S. Attorney's office for the N.D. of California. As for grades I'm right around the top 1/3 of my class.

So given that should I be trying to stick to criminal stuff and work at the DA's office over the summer? Or should I try to broaden my resume by working at a civil firm? I'm basically looking at trying to get into a good DA office after school, avoiding paying my dues in some podunk county if I can. Since my grades aren't that great, but my experience is pretty good I just need to keep adding value to my resume.

Thanks guys
Old 03-26-2007, 03:37 PM

Default Re: My 2L summer - some advice needed from law folks

Top 1/3rd and you have nothing???????????????????????

Did you not do on campus interviews? what's your deal man?
Old 03-26-2007, 03:53 PM

I guess I would try to work in a DA's office if that's where you are looking to work after school. I assume you missed all the deadlines for U.S. Department of Justice intern program (where I worked my 2L summer), and you're certainly not going to get an internship at a large firm at this point. I would get a job wherever you can get one. Is there a particular reason why you are so late in going about this?
Old 03-26-2007, 04:25 PM

Location: Hastings 3L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When we did fall OCI I was closer to the top 40% of my class (damn you crim law prof!), so no big firm job.

I've had a pretty crazy semester, moot court and working in addition to class has taken up a lot of time. So I haven't spent much time thinking about it. I haven't really thought about a DOJ job(the summer deadline is long since past), but I think a job at the US Attorney's office next year is pretty solid.

Last summer I just started calling firms after finals and I found a job at a real small firm. Since i had zero experience then i think my prospects this summer should be better. If I get desperate I can do that again, I just hope i can get paid somewhere.