Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 11:27 AM

Default 2nd Amendment ---- and other superfluous provisions

I have asked this question before and haven't gotten an answer, so I thought I would pose it in its own thread. Which clauses/provisions of the Constitution can be deleted without making a difference in how the Constitution is to be interpreted.

I think the best place to start is with the Bill of Rights, though there might very well be other places that contain entirely unnecessary language.

[ QUOTE ]
1st Amendment:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything that if deleted wouldn't change the way this Amendment is interpreted?

[ QUOTE ]
Second Amendment:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many think that "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State" could be deleted and nothing would change with the meaning of the Constitution (I am not one of those people)

[ QUOTE ]
Third Amendment:
No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we're pretty safe that nothing is superfluous here, thoughts?

[ QUOTE ]
Fourth Amendment:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I think every clause here has meaning/effect.

[ QUOTE ]
Fifth Amendment:
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

[/ QUOTE ]

There might be a word or two hear that is unnecessary, but I don't see a whole clause that could be deleted w/out affecting how the clause should be interpreted.

[ QUOTE ]
Sixth Amendment:
In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing here that I can see

[ QUOTE ]
In Suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise re-examined in any Court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of it seems important here

[ QUOTE ]
Eight Amendment:
Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fairly tight, nothing superfluous here

[ QUOTE ]
Ninth Amendment:
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

[/ QUOTE ]

A rule of how to Construe the constitution the removal of which could certainly change how the rest of the bill of rights is read

[ QUOTE ]
Tenth Amendment:
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose this clause could be deleted as it states but a truism.

-----------------------

So, it looks like in the Bill of Rights there is but one clause (perhaps 2) that is superfluous (that is if you believe one interpretation of the 2nd Amendment.)

If you have a point to make about the 2nd amendment thread, please make it there.

Edit: I changed my mind
Old 03-26-2007, 12:17 PM

Default Re: 2nd Amendment ---- and other superfluous provisions

Hoepfully to get this on the right track it does seem like the Bill of Rights was written "tightly" in that an attempt was made to keep ambiguity to a minimum. Also, IMO, given the history of inclusion of the Bill of Rights, it seems reasonable that the intention was to be very precise.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:42 PM

Since you can't seem to let this go....

If I research this will you answer my question? Will you tell me if there is a single documented quote saying the 2A is not an individual right during the 1700s and 1800s? I know you don't care about the history, the context, and the quotes stated by those who wrote the constitution but will you at least return the favor if I go through the effort of researching this?
Old 03-26-2007, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Which clauses/provisions of the Constitution can be deleted without making a difference in how the Constitution is to be interpreted.

[/ QUOTE ]

The entire Bill of Rights. The Bill of Rights didn't change anything. The Consitution was a document of granting the federal government limited powers. They couldn't make laws concerning religion, the freedom of the press, etc. because it was never granted those powers in the first place. The Bill of Rights is nothing more than the political correctness of the late 1800s, and the drawbacks, predicted by some of the Founders, of including the Bill of Rights have proven to come true.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Tenth Amendment:
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose this clause could be deleted as it states but a truism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, this the most thoroughly ignored and violated bit of the Constitution even with it being right there in plain text.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Which clauses/provisions of the Constitution can be deleted without making a difference in how the Constitution is to be interpreted.

[/ QUOTE ]

The entire Bill of Rights. The Bill of Rights didn't change anything. The Consitution was a document of granting the federal government limited powers. They couldn't make laws concerning religion, the freedom of the press, etc. because it was never granted those powers in the first place. The Bill of Rights is nothing more than the political correctness of the late 1800s, and the drawbacks, predicted by some of the Founders, of including the Bill of Rights have proven to come true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I completely missed the obvious. A lot of people at the time argued that the bill of rights was not needed because the constitution was a limiting document. Good one.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it does seem like the Bill of Rights was written "tightly" in that an attempt was made to keep ambiguity to a minimum.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL???? You might try reading Amendment 9.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Will you tell me if there is a single documented quote saying the 2A is not an individual right during the 1700s and 1800s? I know you don't care about the history, the context, and the quotes stated by those who wrote the constitution but will you at least return the favor if I go through the effort of researching this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea, nor is it much of a concern of mine (nor is it in any way on topic with this thread.) You don't need to "research" anything. Just look at the text (I've even copied a lot of it right in this post) and see if there are clauses that could be deleted without affecting meaning.

For me, I don't think there are any (with the possible exception of the 10th Amendment.) However, there are several if we take as gospel the way the Constitution has been interpreted to date.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I completely missed the obvious. A lot of people at the time argued that the bill of rights was not needed because the constitution was a limiting document. Good one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thinking about it, my post was actually not entirely accurate as much of it restricts the states, requiring trial by jury, etc.. Some parts which only limit Congress though, like the First Amendment, are clearly redundant.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:51 PM

It was in the early 1800s that people first tried to interpret the 2nd amendment as an individual right. All of the discussion about it at the time of its proposed adoption concerned militias.