Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2007, 10:27 PM

Default NL10 - 99 and a Reraised Pot

Villian is 27/19/2.6 over 100 hands. Decent player, haven't seen him make any mistakes. I think he's paying attention, and I'm running 16/12/1.8 at this table. I can't imagine this board hitting him. His checks lead me to think he's holding AK. I bet the river, hoping for a call by Ace high. Thoughts on this line? Thanks.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($18.40)
SB ($9.85)
BB ($16.25)
Hero ($11.90)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $1.5</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $1.10.

Flop: ($3.15) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: ($3.15) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: ($3.15) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, Button calls $2.

Final Pot: $7.15
Old 03-25-2007, 10:49 PM

Default Re: NL10 - 99 and a Reraised Pot

[ QUOTE ]
I bet the river, hoping for a call by Ace high.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean an 8.

Seems fine. I'd probably bet 1/2 pot though on the river. Looks more appealing for an A IMO.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:51 PM

Im guessing youre really proud since you got called by ace high. What was your intention here? To get called by a worse hand or block him from betting? I would have to check this river. Button may have played an overpair this weakly. If there was more of a chance of you getting called by a worse hand I would change my story. I suck though.

edit: sucks when the original post is edited to answer my questions.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im guessing youre really proud since you got called by ace high. What was your intention here? To get called by a worse hand or block him from betting? I would have to check this river. Button may have played an overpair this weakly. If there was more of a chance of you getting called by a worse hand I would change my story. I suck though.

edit: sucks when the original post is edited to answer my questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Either I'm missing something or you are. My pride was dashed a few years ago when I hit my first 10 buyin downswing. My "intention" here was to see how others would play this hand. The results are irrelevant. Villian was a decent player. My thinking at the time was not to block, but to get a crying call from Villian expecting a chop. My reasoning and my river bet were the purpose of the post.

I'm more curious about your reasoning than the hand at the moment. Why would this Villian play an overpair weakly? Over the course of 100 hands, he's stood out as a solid aggressive player. This would be a good flop for him if he was holding an overpair and I have AK.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:14 PM

I think a check would be better to induce a bluff, but that's just how I play. Don't think you should lose sleep over this.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:40 PM

Assuming the pre-river action, i would not have played the river as you did, simply because you played it perfectly and Im not a perfect player.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Button may have played an overpair this weakly. If there was more of a chance of you getting called by a worse hand I would change my story. I suck though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice read. LOL. I played the hand "perfectly," and paid off QQ. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I was more interested in why you thought he might play an overpair weakly in this hand. Given the postflop action, I put him squarely on AK and fired at this river. I had no intention of blocking; my sole thought was value, and I used AJMagarine's trick of adding a few more BBs to whatever I think he'll call, hoping he would put me on a weaker Ace like AQ, and make a crying call for a split.

Villian's play was uncharacteristic of his previous hands. He can't assume I hold AA or KK, or I would have put in another raise with AA and pushed KK. He only has to be worried about 88 or TT and most TAGs are going to pay off those hands on this board.

Again, nice read.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:07 PM

im going to lead this flop for ~3$ more often than not...if he calls im going to lead turn if he calls again i c/c river...if he raises our bet on flop i am going to fold and cut my losses