Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2007, 07:39 PM

Default Where To Sit - Rock, T/LAG, T/LAP, Maniac, Calling Statn, Solid, Shark

You are going to play a $10/$20 NL cash game; $2,000 buy-in; 10 players. You have a $200,000 bankroll, brought $25,000 of it to the table with you. For some reason, you are allowed to sit the players wherever you want them. If you are in Seat 1, where do you place the following players:
<ul type="square">[*]Rock - Only plays very premium hands[*]TAG - Plays premium hands and mixes it up a bit in position, aggressive[*]LAG - Plays a lot of hands, very aggressive[*]TAP - Plays premium hands, very passively -- will fold to almost any bet on a missed flop[*]LAP - Plays any hand, folds to aggression[*]Maniac - Raises w/ any two cards, bluffs a lot[*]Calling Station - Plays a lot of hands, will call to the river with any draw or pair[*]Solid - Mixes up his game; plays premium hands &amp; suited connectors aggressively[*]Shark - Expert at reading people; plays a wide variety of hands in position[/list]
Where do you seat these people to give you the most advantage over their playing styles?
Old 03-26-2007, 09:12 AM

Default Re: Where To Sit - Rock, T/LAG, T/LAP, Maniac, Calling Statn, Solid, Shark

What does the A stand for in LAP and TAP? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyways, to answer your question: You want loose players to your right and tight players to your left. Agressive players to your right and passive players to your left. You prefer anyone to your right, but the ones that can undermine your actions most will be the agressive ones, so you like to act behind them most of the time.

The ones that will not allow you good reads and to buy position are the loose players to you prefer to act behind them most of the time as well. While tight players are more easy to read and will less often be involved in a pot, so having them to your left will make sure you are in position in most of the pots.

Passive players will not reraise or bet very often without a hand, so you can bet into them relatively safely. While agressive players are a bit harder to read and play back far more often so you don't want to play them OOP without a hand.

For the others: Avoid real good players and valuebet, but never bluff, the calling stations.

GL
Old 03-30-2007, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Where To Sit - Rock, T/LAG, T/LAP, Maniac, Calling Statn, Solid, Shark

[ QUOTE ]
What does the A stand for in LAP and TAP? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyways, to answer your question: You want loose players to your right and tight players to your left. Agressive players to your right and passive players to your left. You prefer anyone to your right, but the ones that can undermine your actions most will be the agressive ones, so you like to act behind them most of the time.

The ones that will not allow you good reads and to buy position are the loose players to you prefer to act behind them most of the time as well. While tight players are more easy to read and will less often be involved in a pot, so having them to your left will make sure you are in position in most of the pots.

Passive players will not reraise or bet very often without a hand, so you can bet into them relatively safely. While agressive players are a bit harder to read and play back far more often so you don't want to play them OOP without a hand.

For the others: Avoid real good players and valuebet, but never bluff, the calling stations.

GL

[/ QUOTE ]

He is using PokerTracker terminology.

T=Tight Preflop
L=Loose Preflop

P=Passive
A=Aggressive

The first two letters are preflop tendencies.
The last letter is post flop aggression.
examples:
TAA = Tight/Aggressive preflop, Aggressive postflop.
TPA = Tight/Passive preflop, Aggressive postflop.
LPP = Loose/Passive preflop, Passive postflop.
etc.

I like your analysis.

I would add that the maniac should be immediately on my left so I can see what everyone else does in response to the maniac before I act. So, I can play tight, wait for premium hands, then react to his overbet/open push based on my hand + everyone else. The maniac is the only exception to wanting loose/aggressive on my right rather than my left. But he has to be a true, ATC-all-in-preflop kind of maniac. And he won't last long.

Example:

I have AA, open limp, maniac pushes, two people call, and I call.

Or, I have AK, open limp, maniac pushes, rock calls, then I fold.

Or, I have AK, open limp, maniac pushes, folded back to me, I call.

Etc.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Where To Sit - Rock, T/LAG, T/LAP, Maniac, Calling Statn, Solid, S

I thought this was a good question... hoping for a lot of in depth replies. Maybe it's over-asked or something? Anyway, where do you want the shark? Directly to your right? Left? Across from you? And I'm a bit confused on some of the answers so far, as they seem to be contradictory. Have someone to your left so you can be in position on them? Huh?
Old 04-02-2007, 06:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And I'm a bit confused on some of the answers so far, as they seem to be contradictory. Have someone to your left so you can be in position on them? Huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah if he's on your left then you will get to close his action if he bets or raises as long is it doesn't get reraised along the way but in that case you have obtained more information.

I like an agressive postflop player to my left as I can bet in to him and hopefully get raised to protect my hand or check raise him trapping everyone for another bet with my monsters.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:05 AM

pfft eeezy

Seat1 (me) Shark
everybody else dont care where they sit [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2007, 08:17 AM

heh alright that was a joke heres my real one

Seat1: me
seat2:LAP
Seat3:TAP
Seat4:maniac
seat5:calling station
seat6: LAG
seat7: TAG
seat8: Rock
seat9: Solid

would anybody change this and why ??
Old 04-02-2007, 10:33 AM

10 players -- where do you sit the Shark? To the right of the rock?
Old 04-03-2007, 02:00 AM

oh sorry 10 players
the shark i would put at seat 10 as i want position on him