Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2007, 03:52 PM

Default moving to 400NL

I know these posts arent popular, but im gonna try anyway.

I've been playing poker for about 2 yrs (1yr seriously). Moved up gradually from 25nl to 200nl with reasonably conservative BR-management. I normally 6-8 table 200nl and ussually consider myself on of the better players at the table. My BR is about 15K now and I have taken shots with variable succes, think im about +1 BI over 1.5k hands, which doesnt really say anything..

I personally think there's a HUGE difference between 1/2 and 2/4, especially PF, which I personally find hard to adjust to. I find that the 1/2 players have really small PFRR ranges and limp call OOP way too often, so they're very exploitable. I also think there's alot more floating, playing back etc, especially IP.

I also think im a bit too tight (19/12/4.5), to really make good money at 2/4. Almost all the regs are 24/16ish, so Im probably going to have to open up my game a bit (advice on that?)

anyway, if you have any advice on adjusting to 400NL I would really appreciate it.

btw: would you consider 15K roll big enough to MT 400nl?

thx,

<--IWS
Old 03-24-2007, 03:56 PM

Default Re: moving to 400NL

play how you play, open your game up first at 1/2 and see if it works if you're trying to loosen up.

15k is fine
Old 03-24-2007, 04:06 PM

Whether you play 19/12 or 24/16 has minimal effect on your winrate. Being aware of how you are perceived and reading hands well will have a huge effect on your winrate.

I personally find it easier to read people's hands if they perceive me as being pretty tight.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:13 PM

15k is good.

when taking shots i find it easier to play a few tables at my normal stakes and a couple more at the next level at first. as i begin to feel more comfortable ill start 4 tabling for a day or say then start 8 tabling soon after i get a feel for the stakes
Old 03-24-2007, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whether you play 19/12 or 24/16 has minimal effect on your winrate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly doubt this. Under the assumption that everyone you're playing is a donkey, it might be true. But if your opponents are a little tougher, you'll have a hard time playing that nitty
Old 03-24-2007, 04:20 PM

I think if you change it up to 19/15, you'll be fine.

but there ARE people with 12 prfr and get away with it. (and beat the game for a nice amt)
Old 03-24-2007, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
15k is good.

when taking shots i find it easier to play a few tables at my normal stakes and a couple more at the next level at first. as i begin to feel more comfortable ill start 4 tabling for a day or say then start 8 tabling soon after i get a feel for the stakes

[/ QUOTE ]

4-tables are the absolute minimum. maybe its a good idea to start 4 tabling first, although it's pretty boring.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think if you change it up to 19/15, you'll be fine.

but there ARE people with 12 prfr and get away with it. (and beat the game for a nice amt)

[/ QUOTE ]

I just really like calling hands like 33-99 IP, whats would you consider main reason to RR this pf? Apart from having the initiative? IME, I have more equity in calling down, then RR, especially against people who I think I can read enough postflop, but maybe this is only true for 200nl.

What about the RR range from SB/BB to BTN raise?

thx
Old 03-24-2007, 04:31 PM

you definitely want to start out with fewer tables when you're moving up. if you feel like you're getting run over or getting outplayed it can be very overwhelming if you're on a ton of tables. it's much easier to look at each hand after it's over and analyze it and get a better feel for the table/players if you're only on 3 or 4 tables instead of 8.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whether you play 19/12 or 24/16 has minimal effect on your winrate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly doubt this. Under the assumption that everyone you're playing is a donkey, it might be true. But if your opponents are a little tougher, you'll have a hard time playing that nitty

[/ QUOTE ]

this is so wrong.