Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2007, 06:40 AM

Default the first rule of dealing poker

"A certain dealer I happen to know" did this in a 1-2 NL ring game...

Almost everyone calls the blind and someone makes it $7. It's going back around, everyone's calling the extra $5. Gets to the last guy, he takes a redbird, holds it up almost to the dealer's face, then puts it down and pushes it towards the dealer, nearly to the edge of the rack.

Well it sure looked to me like it was meant as a toke for the dealer. So the dealer takes the chip, taps it on the rack, puts it in his pocket, and says "thank you sir! It's $5 to call.". Guy looks to dealer and says "wait, that was my call."

Here's where it gets interesting. I'm not sure what got into the dealer, but the dealer says "I'm sorry sir, but the first rule of dealing poker is that once it goes in the pocket, it don't come out."

The player thinks a second, looks at the dealer and says "you know what, I like that, I like this guy." Then he calls the $5!

So the hand goes on and the player winds up winning the hand. As the dealer pushes the pot he says "no gratuity necessary sir."

Priceless.

Al
Old 03-24-2007, 09:31 AM

Default Re: the first rule of dealing poker

I'm dealing a $2-5 NL game tonight. Three limpers, SB completes. I pull in the bets and announce, "Five players."

The BB points at the pot, and notes that there are only four red chips. I double check, and sure enough, I have five players, but only four bets in the middle.

I know that it's time to call the floor, but what is the floor going to do? I make a command decision, and pull $5 out of my tray, and put it in the pot (I don't have a shirt pocket, my tokes are in a locked box, I can't open it and fish out $5). Now, my tray is $5 short, but I still have almost 30 minutes at this table, and I expect that I'll be able to make $5 in tips and make up this shortage before leaving.

The players all seem pleased that a long, pointless delay has been avoided.

It turns into an all-in confrontation, resulting in a ~$500 pot. Interestingly, the guy who got busted is the guy I suspected of absent-mindedly pulling back his preflop limp.

The winner of the pot tipped me $5, saying, "Here, put this back." Cool.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The winner of the pot tipped me $5, saying, "Here, put this back." Cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you broke even on the hand then [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] At least the rack isn't short hehe.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

So you broke even on the hand then [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] At least the rack isn't short hehe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last year late one sunday night, I'm pushed to break and as I'm leaving the floor I hear a very weak, "Um... floor!" coming from table 5. Seems that the freshcut dealer's rack is 100 dollars short.

Um. Oops.

Finally after some nice video review...

Somehow he had broken a black chip for a player, placed it in his rack, and it had gotten knocked into a pot without anyone noticing.