Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2007, 12:45 AM

Default Big pot brewing... deep wpt hand.

I want to try to post a few live hands I have played in the past before monte carlo. I'm really itching to play live again, and I want to see if anything interesting might come out of the hands I post.

This hand is roughly 90 minutes into day 1 of the WPT Niagara main event. For the sake of making these hands interesting and focusing on the right details I'll neglect to include my hand.

Starting stacks were 20k, most stacks at the table range from ~8k to close to 30k. I have one of the bigger stacks at the table w/ 28k. John D'Agastino is directly to my left. Overall he is playing pretty passive and not causing me any problems yet. Mostly we are talking to eachother about what a donk Mike Matusow is.

Blinds are 25/50. A few very poor players limp in, about 3 limpers to me on the button and I make it 300. Jdags and bb fold, all limpers call (including utg), in quick rhythm and show no particular hesitation.

The flop is A68 rainbow (1275 in the pot). Checked to me and I bet 1000, utg calls immediatly, rest fold.

Turn is an Ace completing the rainbow. (3275 pot)
Villain checks, I bet 3000, he looks me up and down and says in a kinda thick asian accent "raise... raise to 10 thousand" and tosses out 2 5k chips. He is definitely showing a sign of strength with his demeanor, and i doubt hes clever enough to make an act of it. He has ~8k left after his raise.

Overall he seems kinda bad, tho this is prob biased cause i think everyone older than 40 is probably going to be bad. He is looking very anxiously awaiting my action.

What hands do you think are in his range? What hand do you want to go broke with? Do you ever call (not shove his extra 8k in the middle)?

Keep in mind that overall he had been very passive preflop and I do not recall him raising pf at all during the time at the table.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:54 AM

Default Re: Big pot brewing... deep wpt hand.

this is strange. very tricky with an UTG limp, usually I see that happening when someone is trying to get tricky with a monster, but based on this guy's non raising pre-flop his range is very high. I would say his range is mid-low pocket pair, maybe Ax suited.....let me know what you think you are putting him on and hopefully later we can get results on this.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this is strange. very tricky with an UTG limp, usually I see that happening when someone is trying to get tricky with a monster, but based on this guy's non raising pre-flop his range is very high. I would say his range is mid-low pocket pair, maybe Ax suited.....let me know what you think you are putting him on and hopefully later we can get results on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

so your range is based solely on his pf action? What do you think he has on the turn? Your post makes no sense to me.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:02 AM

sorry. i am not very good, i tried but i failed. i really have no idea, i am not that advanced yet, took a stab but failed.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:21 AM

Question before i answer, do you think hes bad enough to limp/call a suited ace in EP?
Old 03-24-2007, 01:21 AM

I don't play high buy in tourney's but I will take a stab at this hand. I think that villian could have very likely limped in with a hand like 66-1010. He could have check called your flop bet while slowplaying a set. He checks the turn and you bet the pot, he may think that you are representing an ace, so now that he has filled up and got the boat, he figures that you will go broke with your trip aces. I think this is one possibility and is maybe a 35-40 percent probablity. Another probablity is he has a hand like A6-AQ, where he limped trying to see a mediocre to strong hand from OOP, and hit the flop hard. A think this is about a 25-30% chance. Another possibility is he has a hand like 1010, JJ, QQ, KK or even 99 and does not figure you for an ace. I think this is roughly 15-20% chance. Then there is also the off chance that he is completly bluffing which would be around 10%. IMHO I don't think you are looking too hot in this hand and given your curent read on your opponent I would fold this hand. I think I would lay down any premium pocket pair here, and would prefer not to go broke in this situation, unless I had an ace in my hand.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:44 AM

Ansky,

I'm 41-- I'm not great and sometimes I play bad, but I don't play bad all the time.

Isn't this always 66 or 88 ? A6s or A8s is also possible, but i think he would wait till the river to pop you. I'm putting you on AK or AQ from the way you posted this.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:48 AM

Suited Aces, maybe ATo, AJo? 66 and 88 are obv possibilities as well. Turn c-r seems to indicate significant strength, along with betting more than half his stack, suggesting his commitment to this pot. I'd like to have a big A, maybe AJ-A/K or the aforementioned sets to feel comfortable with a call. My range may be too tight here, but everything screams strength.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:53 AM

i'm curious what ansky would have besides air/66/88 here.

maybe i'm wrong, but it'd seem like turn would be a check behind with pretty much anything else
Old 03-24-2007, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm curious what ansky would have besides air/66/88 here.

maybe i'm wrong, but it'd seem like turn would be a check behind with pretty much anything else

[/ QUOTE ]

You would check Ax here? Why not try to take it down, especially if the x is raggish??