Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2007, 07:31 PM

Default Wu\'s log

I love the addition of this forum to 2p2, keeping journals is a great way to stay on point but I've lost my desire to visit the weightlifting forums I used to frequent. So, here I is. You'll have to excuse my switching from proper use of grammar and punctuation to a complete lack thereof and back again.

I'm fat right now, my bf% is higher than its ever been and I don't really want to estimate it now (I'll get pictures up soon). I'm cutting from 235ish at 5'9 to a target weight of around 200-205 (which will probably baloon back up to 210-215, waterweight fluctuations are huge with me). I'm a little over a week in.

Stats:
5'9
bf: [censored] me, id rather not know.

lifts: PR - what ive been doing lately
Squat: 475x2 - 365x8-10, speedwork @ 225
Bench: 265 - 245x5s, speedwork with 145
Deads: 365 - Haven't really pulled in 3 years.

if i think of any other relevant lifts ill post.
i feel like my bench should be closer to 300, but its not an issue until I get my weight under control. once at a decent bf id like to get to 3/4/5, so ill be working on my flexibility and back/shoulder strength (which should benefit both my bench and deadlift).

oh yeah, i can't do weighted dips at the moment because they hurt my chest for some strange reason. but id like to be able to do 2 or 3 reps of bw +100 (or at least 90) @ 205
I'd like to be able to overhead squat bodyweight for reps, but dont see it happening anytime soon.

diet:
The majority of my meals consist of cold water, a protein blend (nitrean from atlargenutrition.com) and fat from either fish oil, flax oil or nuts.
If I feel like making a healthy solid meal, then I do that. Theres no need to be insanely strict yet. The protein shakes are quite helpful as one of my problems is eating [censored] food when I'm too lazy to make a proper meal.

Training:
My friend/training partner is a tiny kid looking to improve his bench press. So I'll be doing some westside type stuff with him twice a week. The rest of the time will be more random stuff, there is a method to it but id rather just let things play out here.

I'll make my first official entry later today, I plan on doing the dumbbell complex outlined Here

followed by a couple sets of handstand presses against a wall, then im gonna give the stretching program posted in this forum a shot.

Peace til then,
Wu
Old 03-22-2007, 08:57 PM

Default Re: Wu\'s log

Ok quick update:
Did 3 rounds of the aforementioned dumbbell complex with 1 minute rest.
Also did 5x3 (for future reference SetsxReps obv) handstand pushups trying to keep good controlled reps and full ROM.

Nothing too exciting, but I have to say the stretching felt really good especially the lat and hamstring stretches, I'll probably be doing this routine daily until I loosen up a bit.
From the other thread: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=640906

Diet:
2 Shakes consisting of 20oz water and 2 scoops nitrean: 220 cals 48g protein, trace carbs and fat each.
Made a sandwich with 2 slices whole grain bread, 1 egg, some tomato and hummus. Not gonna fitday it right now cause i have to go watch the tourney.
Add 1 shake with 16oz skim milk and possibly 1 more with water and thats my diet for the day.
Im out of fishies so fat has come mostly from almonds (and the egg).

My updates won't suck this much in the future (hopefully).

-Wu
Old 03-23-2007, 09:45 PM

Nother [censored] update. Feeling sick today so nothing but stretching.

Diet was entirely protein shakes w/ flax seed and snacking on almonds.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:02 AM

I don't see why you're concerned about your bodyfat %, you're effing strong man.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see why you're concerned about your bodyfat %, you're effing strong man.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, but the bodyfat is definitely an issue for me.

I'm housesitting for my dad and I'm pretty sure there's a digi cam here, so hopefully I can get some pics up.

Tomorrow should be an ME day, I'm posting this so I feel compelled to go even if my training partner bitches out.

Weight was at 226.5 (still mostly water loss I assume) but I went out for a bit and put down a good deal of sake so it was probably all nullified. My face is noticeably leaner now (I gain/lose weight in my face before anything else) but not too much of a change yet.

Peace,
Wu
Old 03-24-2007, 05:37 AM

You don't do any cardio? Also when you do weighted dips do you lean forward or stay straight up?
Old 03-24-2007, 05:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't do any cardio? Also when you do weighted dips do you lean forward or stay straight up?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do BJJ/MMA and very occasionally do bagwork, but other than that most of my conditioning is really circuit training.
As for the dips, I'm not really sure. Kinda embarassing as I'm usually a stickler for form. I do them facing towards and away from the bars at about a 75/25 ratio, not sure how that affects the movement. If you suspect I'm doing something wrong let me know, that's part of the reason for doing this.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do BJJ/MMA and very occasionally do bagwork, but other than that most of my conditioning is really circuit training.
As for the dips, I'm not really sure. Kinda embarassing as I'm usually a stickler for form. I do them facing towards and away from the bars at about a 75/25 ratio, not sure how that affects the movement. If you suspect I'm doing something wrong let me know, that's part of the reason for doing this.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK cool,any martial art is usually a good workout. . Anyways if you keep your body really straight while doing dips it targets more of the triceps. If you lean forward it works your chest muscles, which could possibly explain the pain.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How long have you been doing MMA for? I do it also. It should help you cut weight pretty quickly if you are doing BJJ two or more times a week.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyways if you keep your body really straight while doing dips it targets more of the triceps. If you lean forward it works your chest muscles, which could possibly explain the pain.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was exactly my first thought. If you curl your body forward, chin toward your chest and/or knees toward your chest it really hits the chest hard. It's probably the best pec isolation movement there is. If you keep more straight or even arch backward, it hits your triceps much more. If you're holding the weight with your legs, you may be inadvertantly bringing your knees forward and activating your chest.