Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2007, 01:34 PM

Default 50/100 O.E.

At first glance this section appears more geared towards lower limit players. Is this the case, or are there upper limit analysts following these threads? Upon response, I'll indulge with some game theory questions.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:48 PM

Default Re: 50/100 O.E.

I don't know about 'analysts', but both TxRedMan and TStoneMBD play higher limits - probably some others too that I'm forgetting.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:51 PM

You don't have to play high limits to understand game theory. Post the questions and judge the responses on their merit alone. Too many people on this site judge responses by who posts them and not what is posted, leading to a lot of good ideas getting overlooked and groupthink tendencies.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:17 PM

At Foxwoods last weekend, I decided to play in a 50-100 mix featuring omaha/8 and stud/8, later turning to straight o/8. This was not a very aggressive game at all. The table featured mainly older gentlemen who appeared to have a ton of experience but were not professionals. My question concerns the best approach at beating this game keeping in mind there is usually 4 players entering every pot (generally by limping) and I am running dry, picking up below par one way and two way hands consistently (about 90% of the time) Aside from playing the rock and/or taking a break, can there be enough equity in splashing around and mixing up play almost knowing I won't be able to slim the field and I'm gonna have to hit near perfect flops where opponents will hardly fold anything. Now I'm not looking for positional stratgies, I'm more eager to learn of strategies to increase bluffing equity or ways in which to change the ebb and flow of the game, if possible. I understand these concepts are generally vague and player understanding is important, but I am looking for general strategies that sometimes fair profitable against looser passive tables.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At Foxwoods last weekend, I decided to play in a 50-100 mix featuring omaha/8 and stud/8, later turning to straight o/8. This was not a very aggressive game at all. The table featured mainly older gentlemen who appeared to have a ton of experience but were not professionals. My question concerns the best approach at beating this game keeping in mind there is usually 4 players entering every pot (generally by limping) and I am running dry, picking up below par one way and two way hands consistently (about 90% of the time) Aside from playing the rock and/or taking a break, can there be enough equity in splashing around and mixing up play almost knowing I won't be able to slim the field and I'm gonna have to hit near perfect flops where opponents will hardly fold anything. Now I'm not looking for positional stratgies, I'm more eager to learn of strategies to increase bluffing equity or ways in which to change the ebb and flow of the game, if possible. I understand these concepts are generally vague and player understanding is important, but I am looking for general strategies that sometimes fair profitable against looser passive tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhh, play good poker?

I am not totally sure I understand your question but you can't just open up old nits and create bluffing equity. If you want to get paid when you have the nuts drink a couple of beers and start talking a lot, smile, laugh and collect.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:33 PM

Against 'looser passive tables' there is no hidden concepts to successfully pull off bluffs. That is infact the adjustment. Not bluffing very often. Your profits will come from building pots with positive expectations and extracting from value bets. 'Bluff equity 'falls by the wayside with this specific table dynamic.

Now if players tend to be loose preflop but tighten up as the hand progresses then obviously you can make adjustments there with floating more on the flop and taking a more aggressive approach to the big bet streets. For the most part though, I would decrease my value betting requirements and rarely if ever run straight bluffs as you are likely to get looked up.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for. Would be best to post soome hands and receive feedback. As is with these type questions, there are just too many variables to give anything close to resembling 'good advice'. Default lines and standards are not a good way to approach this type of question.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:06 PM

Your question seems to come down to 'can I beat a bunch of calling stations when I'm getting cold decked', and the answer is no. Why you're bringing game theory into it is beyond me.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:39 PM

A good poker player will find a style to profitably beat the game he's playing, not try to change the game he is playing in order for his strategy to become profitable.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your question seems to come down to 'can I beat a bunch of calling stations when I'm getting cold decked', and the answer is no. Why you're bringing game theory into it is beyond me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you just had a bad night.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your question seems to come down to 'can I beat a bunch of calling stations when I'm getting cold decked', and the answer is no.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed.

I've had this experience recenty in a 10/20HK limit private mixed game where I played against a bunch of loose passive old nits. If you're not getting cards, you aren't going to win.

I lost two racks one night against the WORST of opponents and I proceeded to question everything about my play. To open up (play their game) or try to win more pots by bluffing is the exact opposite of what you need to do. Simply put, I lost because I didn't catch cards, and I overplayed the mediocre ones I had because they started to look good.

It isn't pretty, or interesting, or clever, or inventive, and it's barely even poker, but you need to just tighten up & wait for +EV hands ... and trust me, they'll pay you. They can't help it.

I went back had had four winning sessions in a row, but I'm going to take a break for awhile. The game is so boring it makes me want to stab myself in the eye with an icepick. It just isn't worth the money for the boring, aggravating time I have. (But if it was 50/100, I'd go every night.)