Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2007, 09:22 PM

Default Piano keyboard question

Hi guys

Just wondering if we have any piano keyboard experts here. We have a small keyboard now for my daughter, I think 66 key or something like that. Anyways, my daugther wants a full size keyboard(88 key i think) and one with soft touch keys (acts like a piano) The only brand I have looked at so far is the roland FP4 which goes for about $1500 CAD. (ouch)

Anyone here have any suggestions on other makes?
Old 03-21-2007, 09:25 PM

Default Re: Piano keyboard question

If you can find one used, the Korg N1 (which cost around $1500 a few years ago when I got it) has beautiful key action and some phenomenal piano voices. I'd sell you mine but I already sold it a couple years ago. Get weighted piano keys, there's no substitute for the real piano action. $1500 is pretty standard for a decent new one though. Go for used, a lot of stores will have great prices on used keyboards and synths. The Alesis QS8.1 (I think) is a full 88key weighted model that went out of production a couple years ago, also some excellent piano voices, also probably available used. That's the best advice I can offer, GL.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:37 PM

Alesis QS8.2

and

Korg N1
Old 03-21-2007, 09:39 PM

Get a real piano you cheapskate.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually a nice synth is just as good. Plus she can play it with headphones (at night / while you're doing something else at home), they're much cheaper, and they're very easy to record with. You can get free/easily pirated software and record directly into a computer without any expensive cables, using just basically a headphone jack -> audio input 1/8" cable. I used to do it all the time.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:43 PM

I bought a Yamaha P65 a few months ago, sounds/feels like a piano, and it's half the price of the Roland ($700).
Old 03-21-2007, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually a nice synth is just as good. Plus she can play it with headphones (at night / while you're doing something else at home), they're much cheaper, and they're very easy to record with. You can get free/easily pirated software and record directly into a computer without any expensive cables, using just basically a headphone jack -> audio input 1/8" cable. I used to do it all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought a digital piano a few weeks ago and have been wanting to set something like this up. I'm extremely stupid when it comes to stuff like this though. Any chance you could link me to a guide for dummies? Or anything like that. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bought a digital piano a few weeks ago and have been wanting to set something like this up. I'm extremely stupid when it comes to stuff like this though. Any chance you could link me to a guide for dummies? Or anything like that. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically you just need to get any WAV recording software - Goldwave is fine. I'm assuming you just want to record your direct playing, right? If so, you get a cable from the headphone jack in your keyboard that goes IN to your audio-in on your computer. I used to plug it into the headphone jack in my laptop, since for some reason that jack could act as an audio in slot. It's probably the same on your computer.

Then you basically turn up your computer speakers, make sure that the correct input in goldwave (or whatever software you decide to use) is set, you push record and start playing. Just push stop in the software when you're done and you're set. WAV files are huge, about 10mb/minute of song, but that probably doesn't matter unless you're really tight on hard drive space.

Goldwave (full version available for $45, free demo available there, and probably all over various P2P clients for totally free).

Basically just figure out what size headphone jack your keyboard has, probably 1/4". Go get a 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor, and a 1/8" to 1/8" male-male audio cable at Radioshack, plug it in and fool around with Goldwave until you get it down. It's pretty easy though, if you get all the hardware set up feel free to PM me with software questions as I can try to troubleshoot a little bit for you.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically you just need to get any WAV recording software - Goldwave is fine. I'm assuming you just want to record your direct playing, right? If so, you get a cable from the headphone jack in your keyboard that goes IN to your audio-in on your computer. I used to plug it into the headphone jack in my laptop, since for some reason that jack could act as an audio in slot. It's probably the same on your computer.

Then you basically turn up your computer speakers, make sure that the correct input in goldwave (or whatever software you decide to use) is set, you push record and start playing. Just push stop in the software when you're done and you're set. WAV files are huge, about 10mb/minute of song, but that probably doesn't matter unless you're really tight on hard drive space.

Goldwave (full version available for $45, free demo available there, and probably all over various P2P clients for totally free).

Basically just figure out what size headphone jack your keyboard has, probably 1/4". Go get a 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor, and a 1/8" to 1/8" male-male audio cable at Radioshack, plug it in and fool around with Goldwave until you get it down. It's pretty easy though, if you get all the hardware set up feel free to PM me with software questions as I can try to troubleshoot a little bit for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very cool man thanks, I owe you one.

I might PM you at some point if I'm having more trouble [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Thanks again.