Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2006, 09:18 PM

Default Basketball prop bet

This female friend of mine offered me a prop bet earlier today. She claimed that she could beat me two games out of three at HORSE(basketball horse that is, not the card game).

If she wins 2 games, I pay her $500. If I win 2 games, she pays me 500. Best of 3.

I take her seriously because she is a former D1 basketball player and I played Division 2 and 3.

Now this may be a HORSE rules question. I generally play with trick shots allowed(like calling shots hooks, backboard, etcetera), and I assume that most people do.

I am 6 foot 9 and I know that I can make any shot within a 10 foot radius and just beat her this way by dunking everything within range and counting on her average long range shooting to keep me in the game. I am not a very good shooter from more than 15 feet away(foul shot range) but if she is average at the threes then I figure I have a very decent shot of beating her.

That said, am I allowed to call a shot a dunk knowing that she is only 5 foot 9 and that there is no way she can dunk it? I assume that you will say that she just has to make the shot from wherever I took off for the dunk. If I do a backwards dunk then does she have to shoot it backwards? Help me out HORSE guys.

And should I take this bet? I haven't accepted or denied it yet. She is a female basketball player so I could destroy her 1 on 1, but HORSE is pretty much a pure shooting game, so I am worried.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Basketball prop bet

"I assume that you will say that she just has to make the shot from wherever I took off for the dunk. If I do a backwards dunk then does she have to shoot it backwards?"

yes, yes
Old 02-13-2006, 09:21 PM

make sure you specify you are using a men's regulation basketball...
Old 02-13-2006, 09:20 PM

you're tall
Old 02-13-2006, 09:22 PM

Randle - yeah, considering she can't physically dunk, the rule should be "where you took the shot from". If you call "reverse" and dunk it backwards, I'd say she has to make the shot with her back to the basket.

[ QUOTE ]
I am not a very good shooter from more than 15 feet away(foul shot range) but if she is average at the threes then I figure I have a very decent shot of beating her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhm dunking doesn't really give you an advantage here - it just sounds like she's a better shooter than you overall, which is the name of the game. I wouldn't take this bet if I were you.

-Al

Dunking is generally not part of horse where I come from.

how is this a prop bet?
Old 02-13-2006, 09:23 PM

Ita gay to dunk knowing they can't....I always went with you have to recreate the shot exactly as done, but also has to be called.

example- you call opposited handed one hand foul shout it needs to be exactly that, not just make the shot from the spot
Old 02-13-2006, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ita gay to dunk knowing they can't....I always went with you have to recreate the shot exactly as done, but also has to be called.

example- you call opposited handed one hand foul shout it needs to be exactly that, not just make the shot from the spot

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how we play aswell.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:34 PM

I don't play basketball, nor Horse. Let me ask a question:

If I make a jumpshot, do you have to jump when you shoot it? Or can you just shoot it like a freethrow?

If the rules say, "Yes, you have to jump when your opponent calls 'jumpshot'," then it seems clear to me you have to dunk when an opponent calls "dunk".

And no, I do not think OP should tip off his secret strategy in a pre-game rules conference. She's not going to give you advance notice of the shots SHE has up her sleeve.

Finally, I like the stipulation of "men's ball".

If you really want to go Amarillo Slim on her, play with 9½-foot-high rims, and don't tell her.

[ QUOTE ]
Ita gay to dunk knowing they can't....

[/ QUOTE ]

So if Cerrano can't hit a curveball, it's gay to throw him nothing but curveballs? No, it's not.

The Sports Guy wrote about his game of Horse vs Shaquille O'Neal. When it looked like TSG might pull off the upset, Shaq just started slamming home dunks, and put him away.

So if NBA players say dunks count, then dunks count.