Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 07:09 PM

Default Canadian VPN setup: Is Windows 2003 Server enough?

I've read the posts on VPN vs proxy and finding a host, etc but I have this question:

I am a Canadian with a DSL home network and want to set up a VPN on one of the computers. If I install it with Windows2003Server, and use the native VPN (Create a new connection -- Set up an advanced connection -- Accept Incoming connections -- Allow virtual private connections -- http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/...onnection.html ) setup and tweak it as necessary, then connect with a XP client, am I in business? Or do I need 3rd party software like OpenVPN, FreeS/WAN or the others mentioned?

I am an intermediate user with troubleshooting skills, etc but I don't have experience with this.

Thank you for the help,
junkanoo
Old 03-19-2007, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Canadian VPN setup: Is Windows 2003 Server enough?

what are you trying to accomplish?
Old 03-19-2007, 08:54 PM

I want to play poker on all sites while traveling in the US, through my Canadian computer.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:21 PM

you can use windows XP for this purpose, actually. you can set it top accept inbound connections just like you specify for 2003.

I've done it on several computers for my friends before.

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networ...vpn_server.htm

It does require a little tweaking and it only works on 2003 server standard (web edition does not have RRAS).

Send me a PM, I can help you out and probably save you some money.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:30 PM

Freak: you know OpenVPN also works as a server on windoze, don't ya? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Edit: (for as many headaches as 2k3 vpn's caused)
Old 03-24-2007, 11:01 AM

Freakin... cool, thanks! But you said "you can use windows XP for this purpose" and then "it only works on 2003 server standard".... Do you mean it works on 2003 server standard AND XP, so I should just use XP?

BPN: I'll look at OpenVPN as well. Do you think XP or 2k3 is not good enough for what I want to do (too many "headaches")... do you think (even if it is inferior) since I'm a newb I should stick with the simple XP?

Thanks
Old 03-24-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Freakin... cool, thanks! But you said "you can use windows XP for this purpose" and then "it only works on 2003 server standard".... Do you mean it works on 2003 server standard AND XP, so I should just use XP?

BPN: I'll look at OpenVPN as well. Do you think XP or 2k3 is not good enough for what I want to do (too many "headaches")... do you think (even if it is inferior) since I'm a newb I should stick with the simple XP?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

if you have a home in canada that can have a box running windows XP then that is an acceptable (though slow) solution.

If you are getting a hosted server, then get windows 2003 server standard, or get linux and learn how to use openvpn.

Like I said before, I can help you out if you want to PM me, or you can scan the current first page of this forum.

And openVPN CAN be used on windows, but I don't really want to try to use windows 'routing' to SNAT public IP addresses...