Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 12:58 PM

Default Two 84o hands in BB - What\'s my line?

Local B&M tourney, 80 players. Since this was a rebuy, typical lagfest at the beginning, settles down in the middle stages, and is now a crapshoot crazy blinds.

Hand 1 - Blinds 1500/3000, no antes, Hero is BB
18 players remaining, money @ 9 players

UTG (6500)
Hero (~35k)

UTG raises all-in, all fold to Hero (8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img])

No reads on UTG (not that it is relevant in this situation).

I have to call 7 chips in a pot that has 15 chips for 2:1 odds. I sometimes call these situations in the dark but happened to look at my hand after UTG's push.

Ick. I can afford it but should I?

Hand 2 - Blinds 5000/10000, no antes, Hero is BB
8 players remaining - Final Table

UTG (8000)
CO (~40k)
Hero (~50k)

UTG has been playing scared tight and occasionally very stupid. Called off a chunk of his stack on a rag flop with KQo when there was a bunch of action ahead of him.
CO is a pretty college girl who has been playing decent, nothing spectacular, just playing her hands.

UTG raises all-in, folded to CO who limps, folded to Hero (8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]), who checks.

Flop (3 players): 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (Main Pot: t29,000, Side Pot: t4000)

Okay, I've got bottom pair with a gutshot draw that's probably clean. I put UTG on any two paint and CO on small-med pp, so she might have flopped a set. I'm first to act but really don't want to get commited to such a marginal hand, so I check. Co minbets t10k. Hero...?

Thoughts on PF and Flop action?
Old 03-19-2007, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Two 84o hands in BB - What\'s my line?

Hand 1 is a definite call. you are getting 2:1 against a range of any two and people who do not understand that will think that you are a vigorous blind defender and the won't mess with you.

Hand 2 depends on what hands the girl would limp for 1/4 of her stack. This is a very strange play and your read is important in interpreting it
Old 03-19-2007, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Two 84o hands in BB - What\'s my line?

She might take this line on any pair over 7, trips, AJ+ KJ+, 98,87... at smaller blinds you let it go, but ??? Outs- 5s would be good but are 8s or 4s good? When your stack is 3BB? Unless she always bets checked pots I think you are better off pushing preflop in the next few hands than calling here.