Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 10:26 AM

Default QQ OOP vs. 12/2/1 on turn

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.50 BB (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO ($26.15)
Button ($51.45)
Hero ($67.75)
BB ($35.20)
UTG ($78.90)
UTG+1 ($47.45)
UTG+2 ($8.60)
MP1 ($49)
MP2 ($74.65)
MP3 ($70.80)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, MP3 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls $2.50.

Flop: ($6.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, MP3 calls $6.

Turn: ($18.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks,<font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets $10</font>, Hero...

Should I be betting this turn? Check/folding? Help me play the ladies.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:44 AM

Default Re: QQ OOP vs. 12/2/1 on turn

If you check this turn, then you need to call villain's $10 on the turn.

On the river, you can then check/call or block/fold. Typically, a river bet is good for about 1/3 pot. With an AGG of 1, he probabably doesn't bluff raise or raise light on a river card, so you can expect a hand like AJ to call, and straights, if he has one, to raise. That way you can fold to a river raise.

Oh, and checking the turn is fine. Despite the semi-coordinated board, if you want to try for some pot-control out of position vs this guy that's floated your cb, c/c the turn is ok.

If you did bet the turn, you'd probably want to bet 1/2 pot, then fold to a raise. On the river, you'd then check/call if you think villain might bluff a missed draw. Or, you could block/fold if you think any draws villain had might have made their hand.

I think you are going to lose some money with this overpair if you're behind. The goal is to lose as little as possible when, in fact, you're losing - without being so weak that you let him steal you blind whenever he has position on you with ATC.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Should I be betting this turn? Check/folding?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't understand how c/f can be an option on this turn (unless, of course, he makes a really big bet).
Old 03-19-2007, 11:47 AM

Why did you check the turn? YOu handed him control of the hand so of course he thinks his Jack or 9 is good. Did you put him on a flopped str8t? I think you need to checkraise if you intended to let him bet his hand for you. But the best move is to keep betting. If he calls the turn bet then he probably has a pair. If he re-raises you then you can think of folding. Don't check with an overpair to the board.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:57 AM

As played check-call turn, check-eval river.

Bet-fold makes the hand easier though.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:02 PM

12/2/1 I am probably betting the turn and folding if he raises. If he flat calls the turn and the river is a nice blank I make a value bet, 1/3-1/2 pot on the river because as Albert Moulton said, he's not likely to raise the river w/o a hand that beats us.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:21 PM

I'd rather bet the turn for $10 then c/c for $10. Others will argue. If you do bet, fold to any raise.

A blocking bet on the river is an option given his stats. He's not likely to bluff, so again, I'd fold to any raise. I also don't mind a c/c, but I'd be hesitant to call more than half the pot. He'll likely be checking the river behind you if he's holding somehting like AJ. He's obviously not overly aggressive so he's not likely to bluff.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:04 PM

River: ($38.50) 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="red">MP3 bets $16</font>, Hero calls.

Final pot: $70.50

Way too weak? I had run into 3 sets w/QQ yesterday, so maybe I was focusing too hard on how to lose the least if I was behind.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you check this turn, then you need to call villain's $10 on the turn.

On the river, you can then check/call or block/fold. Typically, a river bet is good for about 1/3 pot. With an AGG of 1, he probabably doesn't bluff raise or raise light on a river card, so you can expect a hand like AJ to call, and straights, if he has one, to raise. That way you can fold to a river raise.

Oh, and checking the turn is fine. Despite the semi-coordinated board, if you want to try for some pot-control out of position vs this guy that's floated your cb, c/c the turn is ok.

If you did bet the turn, you'd probably want to bet 1/2 pot, then fold to a raise. On the river, you'd then check/call if you think villain might bluff a missed draw. Or, you could block/fold if you think any draws villain had might have made their hand.

I think you are going to lose some money with this overpair if you're behind. The goal is to lose as little as possible when, in fact, you're losing - without being so weak that you let him steal you blind whenever he has position on you with ATC.

[/ QUOTE ]
QTF
Old 03-19-2007, 02:02 PM

Well, yes. But you want to control the pot size with this hand. It's very possible you're paying him off here, but you've made it to the showdown cheap. You have to call. Just be sure to take a note on how the hand played out.