Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 06:20 AM

Default Micturition Management

Countless articles discuss playing your cards, your stack, your position, your opponent. Poker isn't cards: it is mathematics, psychology, bankroll management, etc.. But very little, if not nothing, has been said about the human physiological need for urination.
The normal bladder capacity is 300-400 ml although the normal daily urine output in adults is about one to two litters. Urination normally occurs 4-5 times during the day and none or once during the night. There are, however, many factors that lead to polyuria, that is, the passage of excessive volumes of urine. Possible causes are diabetes, renal failure, prostate problems, psychological (compulsive water-drinking), and many others. Without talking pathology, the intake of a alcohol or caffeinated drinks will increase the urine output. Think about beer and coke.
Now the poker player, in particular the online tournament player, will often have to stay sit for a long time, as the duration for one tournament may exceed three-four hours. There is luckily, in the online rooms, a scheduled break of five minutes after every hour. But a serious player, who will play two or more tournaments at the same time, won't have the luxury of having all the breaks at the same time. He may have started one tournament half an hour after the other. Even if he starts exactly one hour later, the break of the second tournament will start right after the first one finishes. This is because the playing time has been set to sixty minutes. Ideally, this playing time should be fifty-five so that all breaks would occur concurrently. Urination duration varies from individual: it may take from 5-10 seconds up to a few minutes. Another factor that the poker player is interested in is the distance from the computer to the bathroom, as it will lengthen his away-time from the table.
So, how do you manage your breaks? Do you wait for the scheduled break? What if you play two or more tournies? In the middle of a tournament, do you fold and run? Do you wait that a hand goes to the flop to run? The idea here is that that hand will take longer than a steal. Do you prepare the race somehow?
This thread is about finding solutions together to the micturition management problem. It is somehow of a taboo subject, but I hope that we can come up with some tips or strategy. If you don’t want to respond in the thread under your own name, just PM me and I’ll quote your answer.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:28 AM

Default Re: Micturition Management

Interesting but a little bit of a strange subject.

Personally if i'm in 1 tourney i wait till the break. 2 or more I'll wait till the break for one, then wait till i get dealt a trash hand in the other and leave it to time out while i leg it to the bowl.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:31 AM

hold it up ??

i can keep my urine in for 4 hours for sure... and even if i really really cant hold it
i just wait till im on the button look at my cards ( do i wanna play this ? No fine Click fold and go to the toilet come back up and see your new hand being dealt)
Old 03-19-2007, 07:24 AM

Very interesting post

Few obvious plays

1) take a slash prior to sitting down, part. with mtt

2) when multitabling, wait for one table to break. THen, when there is a lull in another, quick pitstop

3) Usually, and lets face it, we start up a bunch of tourneys, and bust out of most, but go well in a couple. So, prioritise which one or two is most important. Sacrifice the others (if needed) for the greater good.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:17 AM

how about taking your wireless lan notebook to the bathroom?
Old 03-19-2007, 08:36 AM

LOL

I'm sure sitting out in your tournies for 5 minutes isn't the end of the world, is it?
Old 03-19-2007, 08:44 AM

its not #1 but 2 is a problem and u know when u come back youll see you were dealt aces
Old 03-19-2007, 09:18 AM

Dont drink tea or coffee or coke.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:29 AM

It should be added that stress can also make one feel the need to urinate more often.
In tournament, during the bubble period, or at the final table, stress is higher but every hand counts.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:49 AM

I'd also like to say that once I'm at a final table of a tourney with a fairly decent prize pool and I'm heads up, any thoughts of needing to answer the call of nature have long since vanished !