Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 12:43 AM

Default KK vs Pearljammed in WSOP sat

Villian is Pearljammed. He's been at the table about 3 orbits. Neither of us have played many hands. Only hand I believe he's seen me show down was after flopping 2 pair from the BB where I c/red all-in and stacked an over aggressive lag. He knows I'm aware of who he is from a comment I made in the chat box. We've been at the same table once in the past, but as far as he knows I'm a donkey who luckboxed his way in through a sattelite (which would be the truth [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ).

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $60/$120
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: $7270
UTG+1: $3315
MP1: $2360
MP2: $2315
MP3: $1840
CO: $4635
Button: $4695
SB: $3860
BB: $4905

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $360</font>, 6 folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($840, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $440</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $1650</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero?</font>

I went back and forth on what to do here. Want to check my thought process which I'll reveal after getting some feedback.

Al

Edit: Not sure if any of this matters, but .. We're no where near the money, 3 get seats (12k package) and 3 get a few dollars ($760-1900). 199 runners with around 140-150 left. Avg stack would have been around 4k. Buy-in is $200+16.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:47 AM

Default Re: KK vs Pearljammed in WSOP sat

Flop is slightly dangerous, especially if he thinks you're just a donkey. Also, he could be cold calling with aces (I realize the odds of this) hoping to trap. But, it seems like sort of a ridiculous overbet. I'd put him on a drawing hand like AK and he's just trying to get you out of the pot. If he had a straight draw, I would say he would give it up or just call your raise. Pot odds are just not there. The outs are just not there. I'd call his raise and see the turn. If it's a blank, I'd raise it.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop is slightly dangerous, especially if he thinks you're just a donkey. Also, he could be cold calling with aces (I realize the odds of this) hoping to trap. But, it seems like sort of a ridiculous overbet. I'd put him on a drawing hand like AK and he's just trying to get you out of the pot. If he had a straight draw, I would say he would give it up or just call your raise. Pot odds are just not there. The outs are just not there. I'd call his raise and see the turn. If it's a blank, I'd raise it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Took the words right out of my mouth
Old 03-19-2007, 02:23 AM

1010,JJ, are a big part of his range since he called oop.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:25 AM

call.. feels like 98 to me..
Old 03-19-2007, 02:26 AM

tough spot set 88 overpair mmmmm wow i dont like this spot at all cant say what id do. pearljammed is a top player too
Old 03-19-2007, 02:26 AM

I was rethinking it, and he might have hit a set (Possibly 99), too.. Then again, that huge of a raise just seems off to me.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
tough spot set 88 overpair mmmmm wow i dont like this spot at all cant say what id do. pearljammed is a top player too

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, here's my thinking and what I did. Any holes in my thought process?

As an utg raiser who he almost certainly perceives as playing tight PJ has to put me on a fairly tight range. Probably something like AQ+, TT+. This range is close to reality so I'll assume he's got it right. The range I put him on was any pair or AK with KK, QQ, AK, and the smallest pairs (22-44) somewhat discounted. I discounted the possibility of the premium pairs and AK because I thought he'd re-raise these pre-flop plus my hand makes AK less likely. Trapping with AA was a possibility. He's definitely deep enough to be playing for set value with smaller pairs. I considered suited connectors, but thought this possibility was unlikely based on a post I'd read that seemed to indicate PJ played very tight from EP. I didn't see anyway he had called an EP raise with T8 and had a made straight.

Based on the range I put him on there were 2 possibilities. (1) I was up against a set or AA and drawing to 2 outs. (2) He was putting me to the test with a pair smaller than mine (or KK) with, possibly, some kind of straight draw. The size of his bet when he check raised didn't conciously register with me as out of line at the time. I'm not sure that it is although it felt high if he had a made set and was trying to extract value. A smaller raise or a check call line seemed more likely. I decided that a large percentage of the cards in the deck were potential scare cards for me. I thought my choices were to assume PJ had a set and release the hand or re-raise him all-in right then. I chose the re-raise. Thoughts or holes in my thinking?
Old 03-19-2007, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, here's my thinking and what I did. Any holes in my thought process?

As an utg raiser who he almost certainly perceives as playing tight PJ has to put me on a fairly tight range. Probably something like AQ+, TT+. This range is close to reality so I'll assume he's got it right. The range I put him on was any pair or AK with KK, QQ, AK, and the smallest pairs (22-44) somewhat discounted. I discounted the possibility of the premium pairs and AK because I thought he'd re-raise these pre-flop plus my hand makes AK less likely. Trapping with AA was a possibility. He's definitely deep enough to be playing for set value with smaller pairs. I considered suited connectors, but thought this possibility was unlikely based on a post I'd read that seemed to indicate PJ played very tight from EP. I didn't see anyway he had called an EP raise with T8 and had a made straight.

Based on the range I put him on there were 2 possibilities. (1) I was up against a set or AA and drawing to 2 outs. (2) He was putting me to the test with a pair smaller than mine (or KK) with, possibly, some kind of straight draw. The size of his bet when he check raised didn't conciously register with me as out of line at the time. I'm not sure that it is although it felt high if he had a made set and was trying to extract value. A smaller raise or a check call line seemed more likely. I decided that a large percentage of the cards in the deck were potential scare cards for me. I thought my choices were to assume PJ had a set and release the hand or re-raise him all-in right then. I chose the re-raise. Thoughts or holes in my thinking?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:53 AM

PJ is pretty tight, I don't think he calls OOP with 66-99. I'd call down, because he's folding to a 3bet on the flop. AA is a possibility.