Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2007, 10:07 PM

Default Taking a year or two of before Grad/Law School?

I'm taking a career planning class right now (easy class, easy credit) as a second semester junior. If all goes as planned, I will graduate in Spring '08. Now, I had always intended on going to Law School in Fall '08, but I am realizing that there is a TON of things I want to do with my life. I want to see the world; I want to have all sorts of experiences instead of going into academia then debt.

I am finding that taking a year or two off and getting a decent job isn't that awful of an idea financially. Sure, I may never go to Law School, but that may be for the best (especially after reading people's thoughts of it on this board and other publications).

Has anyone done this? What did you do? Was it worth it? Were you ever able to go back to school?

Please, let me know your thoughts or experiences.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:08 PM

Default Re: Taking a year or two of before Grad/Law School?

So I've ranted and raved about this before, and you're probably talking about me when you mention it in your post, but I'll say it again, definitely take a year off, maybe more. The average age in law school is 26. Once you hit law school, evertyhing is all planned out, and especially if you go the big firm job route you're not gonna have a life until you're 30. The thing with law school is, you really gotta wanna be here, and maybe if you take some time off you'll realize you'd rather be doing something else. It's just not like undergrad.

And yeah, even though loans arent that big a deal in the long run (especially if you go to a top law school), it would be great to bank like 75k or something before you go so you don't have to worry about money. You definitely don't want to be distracted by things like poker in your first year.

Also, I've found that people who had jobs, especially law firm jobs have a head start on the summer job search. One guy I know who worked as a litigation paralegal got a paid job for the summer doing that again really early in the process, because he beats all the other 1Ls hands down because of all his experiance.

Personally, I would have taken another year off, although that could be the stress from studying speaking. I just still had things to do, and I would have liked to get myself in better fiscal shape. My advice as I've said before on this forum is to study the summer for the october LSAT and take it then, and then just bank that for 3 years so you don't have to worry about it later (the LSAT is good for 3-5 years depending on the school).
Old 03-18-2007, 11:18 PM

Awesome awesome awesome. Great post Dave, thank you.

Let's hear some other opinions.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:38 AM

Dave is right on the money (although from everything I've read, I'd steer clear of paralegal work as it is far too common among admissions candidates--do something that makes you stand out).

I've been out of school for about 7 years now and am going to (most likely) wait another year before starting law. I play in a band and we're about to finish a record and go on tour. I have friends in their 40s in law school. It will be there when you're ready. Go enjoy life, take some risks, experience new things, and know that law school and a law career will be a nice soft landing when it's time.

I feel myself getting older and I sometimes get the urge to rush. Someone posted a quote by T.I. in OOT the other day that is now on my screen saver:

"Life is about who makes it, not who makes it the fastest. So drive slow."
Old 03-19-2007, 01:54 AM

That's a great quote Misfire. That song is one of the best Kanye has done. And interesting advice on law school, i don't think i'll wanna do it until im at least 26 or 27.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:07 AM

Good post, I'm in the exact same boat as you lippy ('08 grad, wanna take a year or two off), except I'm from St. Paul.. Sucka [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2007, 02:40 AM

Lippy, are you already accepted for law school in '08?

Defer, defer, defer. Most law schools will let you take a year off and join next year's incoming class instead. DO IT. Travel as much as you can, go visit friends in strange cities, road trip across the U.S., spend a month on the beach somewhere and learn to surf, etc.

You might even take some of this time to interview some lawyers to find out if a legal career is right for you... but absolutely take the time off. There is no way you end up regretting it later.

Be careful about just taking a job though. You don't want to end up trapped by inertia and five years later ask yourself "what happened to me?" It's very easy to fall into a routine with a weekly job. If anything, I encourage you to work odd, offbeat, or contract jobs so that you don't fall into the trap.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:22 AM

N,

I won't apply for another 6 months.

Keep the advice coming. I get the feeling any comments are helpful to a handful of us. So far everything said has been great.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
N,

Keep the advice coming. I get the feeling any comments are helpful to a handful of us. So far everything said has been great.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-19-2007, 04:43 AM

Lippy, I'm in a similar situation and I was considering making a post about it, but never got around to it. I'm currently a 5th year computer science major, and I'd like to eventually go to grad school (but not next year). The options I'm looking at are: work for a year or two and then go back to grad school, or play poker for a year and apply for grad schools during that year. I don't know though, it might be a really stupid idea for all I know. Any advice from people who would know better will be much appreciated.