Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2007, 09:26 PM

Default Bubble, 2nd vs Leader

Live, $200+$25 buy in, 140 plyrs, 13 left, 7 handed, 10 paid
avg: ~26,000
I'm button ~40,000 (2nd in chips at table)
SB: ~6,000 behind (either the shortest or close to it)
BB: ~60,000 (leader)
Blinds: 800/1,600/400

Reads: While I moved to this table about 2-3 orbits ago Chip leader followed me to this table from a broken table where he was again 2 to my left. He has been aggressive both preflop and post flop using his big stack. In past tournaments I remember this player is capable of making moves but also plays his big hands aggressively.

I had Pushed SB over in previous orbit when he was BB and I was SB. He showed rags and commented that he would have called with 2 cards over a 6.

My image is very TAG at this table and last. The aggressive leader on my left on both tables has had me handcuffed to playing good cards. I have showndown only good winning hands played in a straight foward manner. BB may know me as a LAG or TAG from previous tournaments.

With shorty and leader on my left, I obviously hate this table layout and have a big interest in bursting this bubble to get new seat assignments at final table.

I think every street is interesting so I'm going to take it one at a time.

Folded to me with 33.
I announce: "I'm just going to call."
Old 03-18-2007, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Bubble, 2nd vs Leader

i don't think he checks and then you double up with a set often enough. i loften ike calling and playing this in position, but it seems like you're setting yourself up to take a risk of not making the final table for not much reward?
Old 03-19-2007, 04:11 AM

This is a perfect spot for playing set value or knocking out the SB in a cooperation play to help burst the bubble.

There is already 5,200 in the pot from blinds and antes, it only costs me 1,600 and the effective stack is mine at 22x. You only need 10x to justify set value and there is already nearly 3x in the pot already even if SB folds. The BB is aggressive and I can expect to get max value if I hit my hand. I will have position and am very comfortable in post flop play. $1,600 is a small price when I am hemoraging $5,200 an orbit by sitting tight and the chip leader is picking up $5,200 with every undefended pot.

Another option is for me to raise which would actually be more standard. However this would make it less likely for the SB to get involved and reduce any chance of kocking the SB out in a cooperation play. Also even if SB decides to push I can't necessarily count on BB to not push over the top and push me off my hand which would then cost me more money. If I only call then I risk a very small portion of my stack if SB pushes and BB reraises and the objective of knocking out the SB is again likely.

If I do nothing SB is less likely to get knocked out and BB will continue to bully the table increasing his stack on the bubble. Antes are unusually large at 1/2 the SB and it demands action not passiveness. Breaking the bubble is paramount and will also mean random new seat assignments at the final table where I may get the leader off of my left.

Limping induces SB to either call getting nearly 9:1 or push. Either way it's good for me. SB only has just over 1 orbit left in his stack so now may be the time he will decide to make a stand.

First place is over $10,000 and 10th is only around $600. I am not that interested in simply making the money when I can increase my chances for the $10K right now.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:46 AM

I like the call, but i wouldn't mind a raise to T4300 either.

So you called, and he checked I presume? Give a flop [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2007, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a perfect spot for playing set value

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess i just disagree with this... aggressive doesn't really mean you let people limp then go broke when they hit a set? (bad does)
Old 03-19-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is a perfect spot for playing set value

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess i just disagree with this... aggressive doesn't really mean you let people limp then go broke when they hit a set? (bad does)

[/ QUOTE ]

???

Why would he go broke? He is talking about himself playing for set value. If he does not hit his set, he folds with no chance in going broke. If he does hit his set and still goes broke, well that is different. SB is not folding any pair here. If SB is paired up, he is most likely gonna push. If you lose set over set, so be it. Also, BB is calling a wide range here even if we do raise.

Your point makes no sense to me?
Old 03-19-2007, 01:42 PM

Just raise t4k you'll get folds a lot.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:27 PM

Limp is OK, but if big stack raises, I limpreraise allin.

Probably best to just raise to 4K.

You could also just open push.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:39 PM

Taking down the blinds are not my only priority. I am interested in getting involved in a cooperation play to take down the SB, he only has a little over 1 orbit left, a limp might induce either a call at 8.5:1 or a push. A dry side pot also limits my exposure.

Chip leader on my left has been a thorn for the last 2 tables and with these supersized antes, I can't afford to be handcuffed for long. Even with only 7 people the antes add up to 2,800 which is more than both blinds at 2,400. I want to burst the bubble and get a new table layout.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:44 PM

This is a satellite that probably pays top 4 or 5 finishers all the same? If you're 2nd, why fight the leader? I'd be inclined to help him rather than fight him if finishing 4th is the same as finishing 1st. No need to bust and let shorty continue on, so why add more ammo to the pot for him to win if he does win this hand? I was on the other end of this situation this past weekend. I was severely shortstacked on the bubble and a guy with a nice stack took on the chipleader and busted out, handing me a cash finish.