Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2007, 08:47 PM

Default .02/.05 NL ACE High with rag flop against Fish (first hand posted)

sat down a few hands, haven't seen much good play from the table, seemed like lots of fish. villain is 60% vpip and WTSD 40% fold flop and turn approx 20% ... my plan was to steal if river wasn't a heart... how did I play it and what did you think his hand was? First hand posted here I might need some help with a few others. Been reading this forum for a while, just came out of my lurk and have been getting some bad beats (I think??) so looking for some help to plug my game. thanks 2+2

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($10)
Button ($3.42)
SB ($0.76)
BB ($2.70)
UTG ($5.60)
MP ($2.62)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.05.
UTG calls $0.05, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $0.2</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls $0.15.

Flop: ($0.47) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($0.47) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $0.1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.5</font>, UTG calls $0.40.

River: ($1.47) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.65</font>, UTG calls $1.65.

Final Pot: $4.77
Old 03-18-2007, 09:42 PM

Default Re: .02/.05 NL ACE High with rag flop against Fish (first hand posted)

in general if fold to flop cbet is 20% i just check behind all streets if i dont hit; As played, I just fold the turn here if he only folds 20% on the turn then you defintely dont wanta get more money in the pot when we only beat other bluffs. We can find ALOT of better spots to get our money in when we will be ahead of this villian. Remember that bluffing huge calling stations is spew!
Old 03-18-2007, 10:29 PM

The line is pretty poor imo. If you are betting the turn you need a scare card. It is so unlikely that you have 45. So this guy aint folding anything he's betting. If you pushed here he'd probably call.

He could easily haev 45 here.

A word of advice that took me an age to work out. PEOPLE HERE LOVE ACES - Playing any ace lower than A10 when offsuit imo is huge spew. If you and somebody else hit the ace, they aint folding! So you are in a bad way w/ any kicker below a 10. Fold junk like this and play more premiums and hands that you know where you are with, like 78/89 etc. HTH
Old 03-18-2007, 10:32 PM

sounds good, thanks 4 the advice. most of this is stuff i know but for some reason after seeing some of the stuff shown down to me I ffeel like I am ahead at most points.. which I usually am.... villain showed ace jack to spike me on river... ridiculous
Old 03-18-2007, 10:36 PM

Errrr he hasn't spiked you mate, he was ahead the whole time and you had a dominated hand. Just think of any non-broadway card as Ace-Rag and PITCH IT!
Old 03-18-2007, 10:37 PM

I usually do, I just dont see how he can stay that whole way with AJ I put him on the two high cards just dont see how he can stay with that,
Old 03-18-2007, 10:41 PM

posting in the CO, raising ace-rag over a limper, double barreling a blank turn and river against a 60vpip = -EV
Old 03-18-2007, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

sat down a few hands, haven't seen much good play from the table, seemed like lots of fish. villain is 60% vpip and WTSD 40% fold flop and turn approx 20% ... my plan was to steal if river wasn't a heart... how did I play it and what did you think his hand was? First hand posted here I might need some help with a few others. Been reading this forum for a while, just came out of my lurk and have been getting some bad beats (I think??) so looking for some help to plug my game. thanks 2+2

[/ QUOTE ]

All of these stats indicate a huge calling station. "Loose" really starts at only 50% fold to bet. That means their calling you FOS or looking to make moves a fair bit. 20% is retarded, just value bet this guy. Combined with his preflop #'s this guy is in kicker trouble a lot, just play good hands versus him (any position probably) and don't be scared to go to value town.

He could be a fisherman, so watch out for weird gutshots hitting etc., especially if he'll chase one on flop+turn but won't bet the river when he misses. He's essentially calling the flop with any pair/any draw (including gutshots)/over cards/ace high sometimes too.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:56 PM

The only time it makes sense to play ace-rag is as a steal in late position when you know that all of the players who are acting after you are tight enough to likely fold. That's the only useful thing I have to add here, since everyone else covered the rest.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
villain is 60% vpip and WTSD 40% fold flop and turn approx 20% ... my plan was to steal if river wasn't a heart... how did I play it and what did you think his hand was?

[/ QUOTE ]

why did you plan to steal the river? Why not c-bet the flop? If he goes to SD 40% of the time, what makes you think you can steal the river?

TWIWP Villain seems passive, and if so, why raise the turn when he's betting into you, especially when you know there's a small chance of him folding?

I think this is the perfect type of villain to get chips from when you're ahead, and the worst type of villain to bluff.