Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2006, 05:47 PM

Default Sustainable mid-limit B&M win rate

I've seen a lot of detailed statistics on the forums for target winrates for decent players in live games, but not so much for b&m.

What would a good winrate in California 20 game, or a California 40 game be?

I am currently winning an astonishingly good 1.97 BB/hr in 20 games, and an astonishingly bad -0.21 BB/hr in 40 games, and I know that a lot of this effect is due to variance and small sample size, but I don't know what a reasonable rate is, and how much winrate will decline typically when moving from the 20 to the 40.

I have 615 hrs of live 20 play and 366 hrs of live 40 play.

If anyone has ballpark figures I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Sustainable mid-limit B&M win rate

for 20 I run at about 1.5BB per hour (this is pretty standard), can't say much about the 40 game. i have mantained about the same WR for all the limits I have played in thus far.

What is astonishingly bad about -.21BB/hr when all the morons around you are losing 5BB/hr?

To think of it in online terms, you are only at 10,000 hands, a small sample size. See what happens in another month and go from there. Isn't it comforting to know that a perfectly good player can run bad for years in B&M?
Old 02-13-2006, 05:59 PM

It is only bad in comparison to the 20 rate. I was just shocked by the disparity, that's all. -.21 is not particuarly horribly for that small a sample.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have 615 hrs of live 20 play and 366 hrs of live 40 play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly don't understand how you live only players do it. This is about as many hands online hands as I play in a month, and it only takes me about 80 hours of actual play to do it. I guess your edge is bigger, but it still takes an enormous amount of time to see the long run.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:23 PM

You'll probably make 4-5 times more per hour at the same stakes and skill level playing 4 tables online compared to B&M.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:16 PM

Its not that good. A 15/30 online game is way, way tougher than a California 20/40 live game (which is typically softer than an online 2/4)

Still, you are right, I certainly could make more money playing online. I find I can't do it for more than 4 hours/day and I don't enjoy it. I used to be an online pro, but I gave it up because I feel my quality of life is higher this way.

I still may decide to mix in 5-10 hours of online play/week to improve my earn at some point. As it is now I'm so out of practice online that it would probably require some practice and adjustment to even have a win rate as good as my live one.