Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2007, 04:20 AM

Default Why All This Talk About The Good Or Harm Religion Does?

All that matters is whether a particular religion is accurate. If it is, to do anything other than what the god of that religion wants from you would be lunacy. That includes bombing abortion clinics, flying airplanes into buildings or fixing a Las Vegas mayoral election.

If you want to stop those things your only hope is to persuade people that what they believe is not true. Period.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:35 AM

Default Re: Why All This Talk About The Good Or Harm Religion Does?

[ QUOTE ]

If you want to stop those things your only hope is to persuade people that what they believe is not true. Period.

[/ QUOTE ]

David:

Stigmatizing the culture of religion can go along way in accomplishing this end.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:37 AM

I think the most important part of the equation is knowledge.

The problem is many zealots will only believe what they have beleived their whole life, because to give up that belief would mean the rest of their life has been for nothing, which they could not handle.

The truth is what everybody should seek, you're 100% correct, but until then our best hope is to try to find acceptance of all religions, which may be even harder than finding the truth [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2007, 04:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Or that they should not pander to their immoral religions/gods. This is not a simple game of poker. There is much more at stake, than my own personal outcome. Let say, we have to try to redeem god(s) by not following their dictates.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All that matters is whether a particular religion is accurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Curious, I think that is of very little importance.

[ QUOTE ]
That includes bombing abortion clinics, flying airplanes into buildings or fixing a Las Vegas mayoral election.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I see, people who enjoy bombing and killing people use religion as an excuse to indulge in their hobby, not the other way round.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don’t think that would help much. Well in some isolated cases maybe.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All that matters is whether a particular religion is accurate. If it is, to do anything other than what the god of that religion wants from you would be lunacy. That includes bombing abortion clinics, flying airplanes into buildings or fixing a Las Vegas mayoral election.

[/ QUOTE ]
How much harm is done by people who believe the only thing that matters is accuracy?

chez
Old 03-18-2007, 07:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as I see, people who enjoy bombing and killing people use religion as an excuse to indulge in their hobby, not the other way round.

[/ QUOTE ]
You think suicide bombers in Palestine enjoy blowing up Jews? You think the 911 hijackers did it for a hobby? WTF?? Most of these people became terrorists to fight the enslavement of their people by US and Jewish governments, who prop up corrupt regimes in the Middle East and doom their kids to a life of oppression and poverty. They get tipped over the edge into actual terrorism because of the religious belief that it's righteous to kill infidels who oppress the Muslim people. It's right there in their holy book.

As for abortion clinics, why do almost all the threats and violence come from religious people? I'll tell you why: because some religious people believe that God makes life at conception. The logical conclusion of this is that abortion is outright murder of a God given life. Their actions are downright reasonable given their beliefs. Imagine a world where society allowed parents to dispose of unwanted children under the age of 18. Imagine the government provided clinics and doctors to make this easier. Would you sit by and let it happen?

I know it's easier to believe they are callous psychopaths, but the truth is that many of these people are just like you, placed under extreme circumstances and brought up with extreme beliefs.

Some people think ridding the world of those beliefs is a healthy thing. I happen to agree.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All that matters is whether a particular religion is accurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. The point of looking at the harm religion does is to point out the costs of having the inaccurate beliefs and thereby motivate atheists to be more vocal and athevangelize.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You think suicide bombers in Palestine enjoy blowing up Jews? You think the 911 hijackers did it for a hobby? WTF??

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh yes. Well do you think they get no pleasure out of killing people, and are only doing what they believe is best for the good of the world? Well I guess there will be occasional exceptions.

[ QUOTE ]
Most of these people became terrorists to fight the enslavement of their people by US and Jewish governments, who prop up corrupt regimes in the Middle East and doom their kids to a life of oppression and poverty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Faire enough.

[ QUOTE ]
I know it's easier to believe they are callous psychopaths,

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of them are but

[ QUOTE ]
but the truth is that many of these people are just like you, placed under extreme circumstances and brought up with extreme beliefs.

[/ QUOTE ]

many normal people come to enjoy killing after experiencing it under extreme conditions. That’s when killing becomes a hobby, and religion is useful in helping to ease feelings of guilt.

[ QUOTE ]
Some people think ridding the world of those beliefs is a healthy thing. I happen to agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Happy bailing.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But suppose certain religious people don’t believe that bombing abortion clinics is good. Indeed they find it abhorrent. Instead they practice a moderate, almost tolerant religion. They are only intolerant of a small segment of the population and disguise their intolerance by claiming that they love the people but disapprove of certain immoral practices such as homosexuality. They further, indoctrinate their children into their ideals of morality, saying that it is the absolute morality of God, they didn’t choose this morality themselves.
These very moderates are abhorrent to me just as those that bomb abortion clinics, its just that those that bomb abortion clinics are worse.
My point is, that you say the only hope is to persuade these people that what they believe is not true. Really? Do you advocate persuading little old ladies that what they believe is untrue, if their beliefs actually help them in their lives and make them feel comfortable? I don’t care what these moderates think, what I care about is that they thrust their somewhat warped vision onto children.