Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2007, 01:30 PM

Default P\'s Third Home Tournament - TR (Dead Money & My bad Play)

NL Texas Hold’em Tournament

13 Players

$20.00 Buy-in = T1000 Chips / $2 each to cover expenses.

20 minute blinds until Heads-up where its 10 minute blinds – Blind structure starts at 5/10 and ended at 500/1000

Payouts were: 1st ($125), 2nd ($80), 3rd ($30), 4th ($17)

Food/drink served – Water, Soda, Chips, Pretzels and BYO what ever.

Total tournament run time was 4ish hours.

I keep having a better turn out with each tournament I host. This one was my biggest so far and it also was the worst I personally have played. My original list had 15 players that were confirmed but at the last minute one person could not show at the beginning so his blinds were posted and cards folded (more on this later), and the other person did not come and did not pay/play. We also had a very strange thing happen that I probably won’t allow happen again. All players except for two (Mallard & Pat) were regulars that have played in at least one of my tournaments before. All in all we had 13 players money in the pot but 12 actually played. One table of six players and one table of seven players (with one those being the no-show).

Here’s the strange thing that happened (which I initially agreed upon). My table of six players had just finished the third level of blinds, one person had already busted out in the second level when his trip 4’s ran into a full-house made on the river and on the previous hand to changing the blinds I busted out on an absolutely terrible play I made at the board (details later). The table that I’m dealing at gets down to three players. And I begin to deal a hand right after the blinds change to 25/50 and the other table which still has seven players including the dead money stack suggests moving the stack to our table.

The player that just busted out asks if he can <font color="blue"> "buy" </font> the stack from the person who fronted the no-show player chips and everyone agrees including me. But now, after sleeping on it, I feel this was a bad thing to do. This player could have possibly finished in the top five or even top four and in the money, not to mention qualify for points we award to top five finishers. This was an oversight on my behalf and I’m not sure if everyone is aware of what happened. Anyhow, the player who bought the stack ends up finishing in 6th place. No points and out two buyins.

Other than this particular incident, the play in the tournament was quite amazing and fun to watch (not). The first place finisher is a solid grinder. He’s played in three of my tournaments and has finished 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. The second place finisher is a very tough/solid and patient player. At one point I looked over at his stack and he was down to T200 in chips but made a few double-ups and got momentum past the bubble and into second place.

My play was pathetic . I played a total of three hands. First hand – I flopped a set of 7’s and was called when I bet out on the flop; I tripled my bet on the rag turn card and was called again. The river was a complete dud so I bet about half of my remaining chips and told the player jokingly that I would show no matter his decision. He folds and I show my set to him. That hand was my shining glory.

Next hand I played – I’m in the BB with 24o, folds around to MP who just calls, folds to button who just calls, SB completes, I check.

Flop is: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB checks, I bet two BB, MP folds, Button Folds, SB folds.

I flip my cards up and ask “Is anyone is going to gamble tonight?” – Wow, huge pot…*sigh*.

A few hands later I’m in the cut-off and I get; A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG folds, MP raises 1.5 BB, folds to me, I re-raise another 1.5 BB, button folds, SB and BB fold. MP calls. We’re head’s up.

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

MP checks and I have an aneurism and announce my “all-in” bet of about T800+. MP thinks a few and decides to call and has me covered.

He flips up A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and I’m absolutely stunned (this was the player I had previously beat with my set of 7’s). Turn and river cards were of no help to me and I’m dealing (again) in another tournament I hosted (again). I was pretty upset at myself the whole night over that hand (but kept it to myself). I normally do not push on a draw, but I did, and it sucked for me.

Anyhow, the next tournament will be in about another three weeks. I hope the post was informative.

Good Luck !

P [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2007, 02:14 PM

Default Re: P\'s Third Home Tournament - TR (Dead Money & My bad Play)

Congrats on a successful tourney! You'll find that as your tournaments become more popular, your performance in them will decrease. I'm at the point now where I'm working to hire an assistant TD so I can focus on the game.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:53 PM

"$20.00 Buy-in = T1000 Chips / $2 each to cover expenses."

Just list this as $18+2 and we'll all know what it means, without having to add up the prize money.

" Blind structure starts at 5/10 and ended at 500/1000"

It really ended at T500/1000?

"Payouts were: 4th ($17)"

UGH- you couldn't take $5 from first, so you make a profit in the money?

"I keep having a better turn out with each tournament I host. "
Good sign, reflects the host.

" we had 13 players money in the pot but 12 actually played. "
Wait, the money doesn't add up. 13x18 = $234. Oh, you add in the extra $18 later from the "rebuy", right?

"The table that I’m dealing at gets down to three players. And I begin to deal a hand right after the blinds change to 25/50 and the other table which still has seven players including the dead money stack suggests moving the stack to our table."

Why didn't you balance the tables earlier? And moving the dead stack would be the first player to go, to give the other table a chance at the free money.

"The player that just busted out asks if he can <font color="blue"> "buy" </font> the stack from the person who fronted the no-show player chips and everyone agrees including me. But now, after sleeping on it, I feel this was a bad thing to do."

Only because of the no-rebuy rule for everyone else. Now, if that player had to kick in EXTRA buy-in, I might have said okay.

" This player could have possibly finished in the top five or even top four and in the money,"

So?

" not to mention qualify for points we award to top five finishers."

How I handle this is to only award points for your FIRST tourney of the night (when I'm running concurrent tourneys and you can bust from one, buy in late for another). You could have done something similar related to buy-ins.

however, I agree with you- don't let him buy the dead stack. I wouldn't have even had the dead stack in there, but I deal with it differently.

"Next hand I played – I’m in the BB with 24o, folds around to MP who just calls, folds to button who just calls, SB completes, I check."

You ALWAYS raise The Power of 4! Wait, that's in my game... never mind. But I'm sure the poker gods will be punishing you.

"I bet two BB, MP folds, Button Folds, SB folds.

I flip my cards up and ask “Is anyone is going to gamble tonight?” – Wow, huge pot…*sigh*. "

Ugh, you WANTED to give them 3:1? And then you SHOWED the cards? pis, pis, pis.... do we need a sit-down?

"UTG folds, MP raises 1.5 BB, folds to me, I re-raise another 1.5 BB"

What's with all of the min-raising?

Good trip report. Keep up the good work.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It really ended at T500/1000?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes...and I couldn't believe it myself.

[ QUOTE ]
UGH- you couldn't take $5 from first, so you make a profit in the money?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hind sight says - Yes, I could have...and this will be noted for the next one.

[ QUOTE ]
Why didn't you balance the tables earlier? And moving the dead stack would be the first player to go, to give the other table a chance at the free money.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't think of it till three of us had busted on our table, and yes that would have been fair.

[ QUOTE ]
if that player had to kick in EXTRA buy-in

[/ QUOTE ]
I actually wanted to auction the stack, it but the player that fronted the money only wanted his money back.

[ QUOTE ]
only award points for your FIRST tourney of the night

[/ QUOTE ]
This is what I did.

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't have even had the dead stack in there, but I deal with it differently.

[/ QUOTE ]
How do you handle it Larry? Please, I want to run a good tourney.

[ QUOTE ]
But I'm sure the poker gods will be punishing you.

[/ QUOTE ]
They did, they removed my brain momentarily on the last hand I played. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Good trip report. Keep up the good work.

[/ QUOTE ]
I Always look forward to reading your comments Larry, and I'm truly trying to improve my game and tournament play - Thanks Bro!

Old 03-17-2007, 06:36 PM

I would play in your tourneys. You have the absolute right attitude.

Regarding the dead stack, just don't do it. I had it a few times at mine, as I was hoping for a nice big tourney and wanted to give every last possible person a chance to play, but if you do that then people don't learn and they start to take advantage. Either you're there or you're not, it's too much hassle dealing with a dead stack and it's unfair to the tournament as a whole. Maybe offer an option to buy in late during the first round, losing whatever blinds would have been posted. Your tourneys will grow, and people will respect that they need to be accountable. People like to feel they got in on something special, and turning people away who are late aids in that. It may seem harsh, but these things are enough work already without people showing up at odd times, mucking up the works and distracting you from playing your A-game.

As to moving players, move the next person in the BB to the closest seat to the BB on the new table. Don't rearrange people to accomplish this, just the first open seat. Also, re-draw for position and button when you consolidate.

If you raise the buy-ins, I recommend increasing the house fee and providing better food. I get pizza and beer set up ahead of time, and people are happy to pay for it. Helps promote a longer tournament, too.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, re-draw for position and button when you consolidate.

[/ QUOTE ]
I did and everyone was ok with it. High Card chooses his seat first then, redraw till everyone is seated again.

BTW - Your avatar always makes me laugh everytime I see it!!

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2007, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I did and everyone was ok with it. High Card chooses his seat first then, redraw till everyone is seated again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose that works and could actually make things interesting. Hmm. Normally how we do it is everyone picks and then just gets seated around the table in numerical order.

[ QUOTE ]
BTW - Your avatar always makes me laugh everytime I see it!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! Me, too. It's my nephew. My brother liked to teach him tricks. In the larger photo you can see drool on his shirt, too. He's a freakin' rockstar, baby.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't have even had the dead stack in there, but I deal with it differently.

[/ QUOTE ]
How do you handle it Larry? Please, I want to run a good tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, sounds like you're running a good tourney so far.

Way back when I added tourneys to the game, I decided that I didn't want to:
encourage people to be late and have to deal with them mid-tourney
loan buy-ins and then pull back out
deal with removing stacks or leaving them in
etc.

So, my policy- you can buy in late to the tourney, through the first three rounds. No chips will go out (except unusual circumstances) until you arrive and buy in.

Plus, you suffer the following penalties (greater stack hit than if you'd been here to blind off in person)

Approx. -2% of starting stack after 3 minutes from tourney start
-7% total after the 1st round is over
-16 to 20% total after the second round
with no late buy-ins when the 4th round starts- wait for the cash game.

Since our starting stacks are T3K-T5K, it's not a killer to be late. It's worked for me and I don't worry about whether someone is coming or not.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you can buy in late to the tourney, through the first three rounds. No chips will go out (except unusual circumstances) until you arrive and buy in.

[/ QUOTE ]
Excellent, and I will implement this.

FWIW - The guy that had his stack sold off eventually showed up but only after the player that had bought them busted out, he missed it by about 10 minutes top. We already had our side cash game going by then so he just pulled up a chair and jumped in.

One other thing we will also do from now on is start with T1000 chips. That appeared to be the magic number for our group and everyone seemed to like the extra black chips. We had tried T600 and T800 to start and some of the guys seemed to gripe a little to much.

Anyhow, thanks for input Larry!