Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2007, 08:47 AM

Default Preflop raise sizing

Sklansky tells us in NL Hold'em, Theory and Practise to vary our opening bet sizes according to hand type. His argument is that some hands lend themselves to playing big pots better than others, such as small pairs and suited connectors.

Do you practise what is preached? I put in the standard(?) 4 BB's almost every time, except sometimes in late position, I make it a bit smaller, and sometimes when I know an opponent will call way too much, I make it bigger. This is not good enough, according to Skalansky.

Have you guys thought about this? In what situations do you vary your opening bet sizes based on your cards? Is this discussion even relevant with the standard 100BB stacks?
Old 03-17-2007, 08:51 AM

Default Re: Preflop raise sizing

I have not read the book, though this is horrible advice metagame wise if that is really what it says.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:55 AM

I only vary based on position and # of limpers.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:18 AM

I almost always raise to about 3.5bb+1bb/limper, the size of the pot, when making the first raise, regardless of my hand, from any position except the blinds.

From the blinds I also raise about pot most of the time but add some more from time to time.

However, if many player have limped and I am in one of the blinds I sometimes make a little pot sweetener for about 3bb total or so that I know everybody is likely to call with hands like SCs and small pairs. I usually do this raise only vs passive/bad, predictable opposition.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:25 PM

Opening with differently sized raises for specific types of hands is pretty stupid and exploitable.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Opening with differently sized raises for specific types of hands is pretty stupid and exploitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are in open disagreement with the gentlemen Ed Miller and David Sklansky. Until further notice I am declined to give their opinion some consideration at least.

Btw. opening differently with different hand groups does not have to give away a whole lot of information about your hand if it is done in an intelligent fashion. The question is if the tiny bit of information that you do give away is more or less valuable than the effect it has on future pot size. This is still open for debate IMO.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are in open disagreement with the gentlemen Ed Miller and David Sklansky. Until further notice I am declined to give their opinion some consideration at least.

Btw. opening differently with different hand groups does not have to give away a whole lot of information about your hand if it is done in an intelligent fashion. The question is if the tiny bit of information that you do give away is more or less valuable than the effect it has on future pot size. This is still open for debate IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

this would give away more info than it's worth. and if you're doing based on some hands being better in a big pot and some better in small pot, well, it won't be too difficult for a decent opponent to pick up on it. you can still very easily manage the size of the pot after preflop, work on that and keep pf standard.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:16 PM

We must have done this thread, already, at some point.

I only vary bet sizes by hand type when I'm playing with donks.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:17 PM

i like doing this vs unaware players
Old 03-17-2007, 01:20 PM

Sklansky is also not good at cash games.