Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2006, 11:22 PM

Default ($55) JJ Hand

Comments on all streets, please! Nice converter, Perg. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

PartyPoker, Big Blind is t15 (7 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t2090)
UTG+1 (t895)
MP1 (t2165)
Hero (t960)
Button (t760)
SB (t1040)
BB (t2090)

Preflop: Hero is in CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="red">MP1 raises t30</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises t130</font>, Button calls t130, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>

Flop: (t315) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, Button checks

Turn: (t315) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets t165</font>

I'll post my results and reasoning after I get some feedback.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:26 PM

Default Re: ($55) JJ Hand

I actually like the flop check. A sharp villain will think I'm making a cont bet here and reraise, leaving you no idea where you stand. If you check and he checks, and a safe turn card comes, you can be pretty sure you're good. If you check and he bets, well it's better to be the reraiser if information is what you're after. That said, I'd probably still bet this flop most of the time, but checking doesnt look bad to me.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:28 PM

Well with my opponent's stack, information isn't what I'm after. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-03-2006, 11:29 PM

Ah, I didnt even look at his stack :-) So you're trying to make it look like a bluff to get all his chips in with a worse hand?
Old 01-03-2006, 11:30 PM

On flop I continue bet to 200. What range are you putting him on to check?

Turn I think betting is fine, but if Button is a better than average player he could easily reraise you bet suspecting a bluff. What do you think about check calling to induce a bluff, given your check on the flop?
Old 01-04-2006, 12:43 AM

this is the reason I coldcall/limp with JJ [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

default is to half-pot or 2/3 pot flop because when you check, lots of people are going to auto-bet (sometimes even with a-high) leaving you in a quandry.

also, nice to see that you've moved up [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2006, 12:57 AM

golfcchs - My main reason for the check was his stack size, not any sort of range of hands. I was hoping my opponent would bluff his stack of 630 into the pot of 315. I see players making this move pretty much all the time, and I felt like making a standard c-bet of 200 or whatever would "take the bluff" out of him too much. Basically, I'm fairly certain I've got the best hand here and I want him to put his stack in.

psyduck - Boo to coldcall/limping JJ! You're costing yourself some decent expectation to avoid uncomfortable spots. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I know that lots of people will auto-bet after I check so I don't feel like I've got a quandry at all, I just call/raise him all-in if he puts a penny in the pot.

He ended up folding to my turn bet, which was about the only size of bet I could think of to balance not looking too suspicious with giving him enough room to possibly bluff raise me all-in.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know that lots of people will auto-bet after I check so I don't feel like I've got a quandry at all, I just call/raise him all-in if he puts a penny in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a leak. if you check-raise him all in, he's not calling without at least a Q - cliche, but you'll only get called when you're beat.

I mean, you do have an underpair, so you have to be careful with it. AQ, KQ, QJ, QT are all possible hands that villain could have, and he's not folding when you c/r all in. however, he WILL fold ace-high if he bets and you raise
Old 01-04-2006, 01:24 AM

Jeff, one of the things to realize is that I think AA can play the hand the same way preflop. With this semi-coordinated flop, I think AA is likely betting. So, a good amount of time, your turn bet is successful. And of course, easy to muck if you get action.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:45 AM

He just said he wants action. He's not mucking.