Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2007, 01:09 PM

Default Job Application Process

Could someone give me a real brief review on what the job app. process is like? After they look at your resume, is it then when they call up your school to look at your transcript? Also, are letters of reccomendations crucial or important?
Old 03-16-2007, 07:40 PM

Default Re: Job Application Process

[ QUOTE ]
Could someone give me a real brief review on what the job app. process is like? After they look at your resume, is it then when they call up your school to look at your transcript? Also, are letters of reccomendations crucial or important?

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't review your transcripts until much later, if they even bother to do so at all. Letters of rec. for jobs are nearly useless (from my observations) for entry level "college hire" jobs.

Good resume--->1st round interview----> 2nd round interview day---->job
Old 03-16-2007, 09:10 PM

What sort of job are you applying for?
Old 03-28-2007, 01:54 AM

it all depends on the type of job you are applying for. The only thing i know is jobs in the financial sector.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:43 PM

No...jobs outside academia generally do not care about your transcripts.

If the job requires a degree, they usually hire you contingent on a background check. During that check they look for felonies etc and make sure you got the degree you say you got. They also call up the references you provide just so they know you aren't lying(as long as your references know who you are and don't say things like 'Oh John? I thought he was in jail for the past three years' its fine).

Resume is probably the most important thing you have to get a job. If its not well written they don't even tell the secretary to call you to set up a phoner. I sit next to the CTO(he's very involved in the hiring for some reason) at my new job and I hear him screaming about [censored] resumes a lot.

After that if you can string 3 sentences together in front of a new person about something in the field of the job, answer some questions about yourself, and not seem like a jackass about things then its pretty much a snap. Generally they have a phoner followed by an interview in person.