Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2007, 11:39 AM

Default Live club, dealing with a problem at the table.

I'd like to discuss a topic I haven't seen brought up much. When playing live poker you will invariably run into a situation where you will disagree with a player about a ruling, ethics or conduct and the situation can get very stressful.

In particular for me, I play at a live club quite often, maybe 20 hrs a week and I'm considered a regular at the club. I think I am considered fair and generally a good guy, however I have no problem voicing my opinion and because of my appearance (muscular, large and bald) and my lack of interest in playing the peacemaker some people may find me abbrasive.

I've had multiple problems with a particular dealer and her lack of concern and ability to run the game properly, and I voice my complaint plainly and refuse to tip her. I've had an instance where I sucked out on a player and his complaining elicited a response from me which he didn't like, so we nearly took it outside. However this player was also a respected regular, whom I play daily, so we've learned to play each other with respect and we have no further problems past that incident.

Poker is a game of high and low emotion. It's probably why we play in the first place. For me though, I'd prefer to not have a physical altercation at all, and debate my differences of opinion like an adult.

Which brings me to the incident yesterday. I've played with "Mak" a half dozen times or so. He's a small man, in addition to being short like myself, with a whiny voice and a condescending disposition. Basically, he comments on most every hand, and has a Napoleonic viewpoint when disagreed with.

In this incident, a player "Gilbert" to my left got into a hand with "Russ" where both players were all in on the flop. Gilbert had pushed and Russ called, and Gilbert exposed his hand and asked if Russ wanted to do business. Russ thought but did not expose his hand. Gilbert then asked Russ what he had, which is when Mak decided to announce to the world his opinion (shocker). Mak made his point in the whiniest tone possible, which was " I think it's so unethical to ask what Russ has. I really hate when people do that, it's so unethical. Blah blah blah, ethics blah blah."

Mak's opinion was so invasive that Russ and Gilbert had a difficult time communicating about what was to be done, so I leaned to Gilbert and said "Don't listen, just work it out yourselves", to which Mak replied " Why are you involved, that's not ethical!"

My reply, as is often the case in this type of situation, was " Nobody wants to hear your opinion, shut your [censored] mouth."

Maybe this is not proper conduct. I'm sure there are better ways of dealing with the issue, which became evident when Mak stood up and circled the table to confront me. I remained seated and asked Mak to sit down. He refused and came closer. The floor manager came over and Mak continued to make an issue, demanding an apology. I apologized for my language, but made clear I had a different opinion, and made crystal clear that nobody needed to hear his in the first place, in a pot he had nothing to do with.

Mak stood there until I asked him what he wanted, to settle things outside or sit and play cards. He eventually sat and played, but left soon after.

I guess my question is A. Did I deal with this poorly, B. Should I approach Mak to discuss this problem further or C. Grind his stupid ugly face into the pavement.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Live club, dealing with a problem at the table.

In the future, as soon as Mak says "I think it's so un....", cut him off and say "Shut up, Mak. No one cares what you think. You aren't in the hand."
Old 03-15-2007, 01:23 PM

You should sleep with the host's wife.

Looks like you have a lot of little petty issues that all came to a head in one hand. Let it go, ignore other people. "Debate" does not work in such an environment, nor in most (try "conversation" instead). Let it go and relax. It can only hurt your game to get worked up.

If in life you find you have similar interactions and/or problems repeatedly, the cause is likely you. Would you rather be "right" or "happy"?
Old 03-15-2007, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker is a game of high and low emotion.

[/ QUOTE ]
I missed the fun part somewhere. To be honest, Mak should not have said a word. And in general, you'd never see me at a table like you described. I would rack and move or leave.

I never say a word unless spoken too, I never try to be the umpire unless asked, especially when I'm not involved in a hand. My standard table talk consists of, Where you from?, How's the weather there?, Nice hand, etc. I'm a nice guy that people like to play against and when I'm ready to leave, with more money than I came in with or a little lighter there's never any hard feelings towards anyone.

I gamble, it's entertainment for me, I like it. If I'm wrong, I'm the first to admit it, no angle shooting, no bull, just play and have some fun.

Good Luck!

P [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2007, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should sleep with the host's wife.

Looks like you have a lot of little petty issues that all came to a head in one hand. Let it go, ignore other people. "Debate" does not work in such an environment, nor in most (try "conversation" instead). Let it go and relax. It can only hurt your game to get worked up.

If in life you find you have similar interactions and/or problems repeatedly, the cause is likely you. Would you rather be "right" or "happy"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post, and good question. I'd rather be happy, but I'd be miserable being wrong.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd prefer to not have a physical altercation at all, and debate my differences of opinion like an adult.

" Nobody wants to hear your opinion, shut your [censored] mouth."

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not debating like an adult [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Saying something like 'I disagree, call the floor over' is much better.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd prefer to not have a physical altercation at all, and debate my differences of opinion like an adult.

" Nobody wants to hear your opinion, shut your [censored] mouth."

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not debating like an adult [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Saying something like 'I disagree, call the floor over' is much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

So true, so true.

Is anyone going to condone option C?
Old 03-16-2007, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

So true, so true.

Is anyone going to condone option C?

[/ QUOTE ]

You already know the answer.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:22 AM

[censored] him up imo.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:27 PM

Maybe not the full C, while well deserved may result in legal troubles for you.

A KITN would be much more subtle and just as appropriate.