Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 02:35 PM

Default Live concerts in LV

Las Vegas is a city full of entertainment oportunities, often when we discuss what to do in Vegas it tends to revolve around gambling, eating, and seeing shows. The one thing that often gets overlooked in this forum are concerts - so I thought it would be good to get a thread rolling so we can discuss and track the upcoming shows! Here are a few to get started:

Rodger Waters will perform "THE WALL" in it's entirety on June 16th at the MGM Grand. Rodger was a founding member of Pink Floyd, and the genius behind this legendary album. We can expect the full wall stage show to be included!

Sly and the Family Stone will perform for the first time in 30 years. The Family stone have performed sporatically without Sly, but since the announcement came with Slys name I think its for real. Sly has been in and out of jail for years, and has developed a horrible case of stage freight - hence if he can really do it this will go down in history. Last time they performed at the R&R Hall of Fame Sly walked off the stage before the song even started. Crossing fingers - they will be opening for George Wallace as a special guest on March 31st. www.FlamingoLasVegas.com

Of course everyone knows Price performs in Vegas 2x a week now (soon Michael Jackson will be doing the same thing). But a lot of people don't know that Prince's club has a weekly Wednesday night free concert for locals, featuring classic funk bands from the 70's. I haven't gone yet, but it sure sounds bad ass!
Old 03-14-2007, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Live concerts in LV

I just had the opportunity to see The Pearl -- the new concert theater at the Palms. This is a beautiful theater and there isn't a bad seat in the house. Its also connected to the Palms recording studio making it easy for performers to do live recordings without having to bring in special equipment.

Unfortunately the The Palms concert line-up isn't really in line with my music tastes (actually I have never heard of most of the announced acts).

I am contemplating going to the House fo Blues at Mandalay Bay next week to see English Beat. This was one of my favorite bands back in college and I have never seen them live (of course I have no idea if they are even the same performers).
Old 03-14-2007, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course everyone knows Price performs in Vegas 2x a week now (soon Michael Jackson will be doing the same thing). But a lot of people don't know that Prince's club has a weekly Wednesday night free concert for locals, featuring classic funk bands from the 70's. I haven't gone yet, but it sure sounds bad ass!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the #1 reason I need to get to Vegas soon. Not gambling. Not broads. Not booze. Prince. (But likely boozing at Prince show.)
Old 03-14-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the #1 reason I need to get to Vegas soon. Not gambling. Not broads. Not booze. Prince. (But likely boozing at Prince show.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Better hurray -- I have heard he will be gone at the end of the month.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:46 PM

I"m going to need confirmation on this one way or the other immédiatement.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:49 PM

Heres' a good tip - if you sign up for email membership at House of Blues (HOB.com) they will send you an email every tuesday morning for "two for tuesday" - a list of upcoming shows they are offering 2 tics for price of 1 (including service charges).
I saw Big Head Todd a few weeks ago - wife and I both got in for I think $30 total, I was going to get reserved tickets for $100 total before I decided to roll the dice and see if it came up on Two for Tuesday.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Prince's run at the Rio might be a brief one. Alicia Jacobs, entertainment reporter at KVBC-TV, Channel 3, reported Sunday that Prince will end his Rio deal on March 31.

Jacobs said Prince, who took over the Club Rio showroom in November, is going on tour to promote his latest CD. But a 3121 rep said the show is indefinite, and "there's not a confirmed end date as of yet."
Advertisement

Perhaps most revealing, however, was the group of uber entertainment executives who attended a private Prince performance about 2:30 a.m. Sunday, after his main show at his 3121 club.

Among 30 guests in a small backroom were ABC entertainment honcho David Saltz; Apple Records boss Jonathan Clyde, who produced most of Usher's major hits, and Siegfried & Roy's longtime manager, Bernie Yuman.

Saltz is reportedly working on a huge Beatles-related Prince project. Prince spent most of the private concert singing arrangements of Beatles songs.

Connect the dots.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_ho.../12724009.html

nothing definate -- just rumors.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:58 PM

MGM Line up includes:

Rod Stewart 3/17
Dave Matthews 3/23 & 4
Josh Groban 4/7 (chikfest)
Police 6/15

The MGM Arena had surprisingly good sound when I was there for the Don Henley concert recently.

Through a friend of a friend with the band Chicago, MGM has apparently changed its policies that will make it tougher for bands to profitably come to LV in the future. But this is hearsay and the current list of bands is, pardon the pun, ROCK solid. Except for that Groban kid.

It is also way cool to go to a nice dinner, walk to the concert, and walk to the poker table.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I"m going to need confirmation on this one way or the other immédiatement.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are no Prince performances scheduled after the end of the month. You have three weekends remaining to check it out.

Also, tickets (general admission, no seats) went up this month from $125 to $175.

I figured he was going to flake like this, and so I made a point to get to LV in January. Now, I'm real glad I did. <font color="purple"> Trip report</font>
Old 03-14-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rodger Waters will perform "THE WALL" in it's entirety on June 16th at the MGM Grand. Rodger was a founding member of Pink Floyd, and the genius behind this legendary album. We can expect the full wall stage show to be included!

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you give a citation for this? It looks like this appearance is part of the current tour, where he's playing Dark Side of the Moon at every show. I can't find any confirmation that he'll play The Wall on that date.