Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 04:02 PM

Default How\'s your SSNLHE?: T9s

I'll try another one here. Questions are numbered in case they come up in random order again. Just do them in order 1-6.

.50/$1 6-max Both Hero and Villian (BB) have $100 stacks.

Reads: Villians first hand at the table, but you have played with him before. He is a respected 2+2'er who knows his way around a poker table.

Preflop: Hero is Button with T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
3 folds, Action is on Hero.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Re: How\'s your SSNLHE?: T9s

ANSWER RATINGS:

Thanks for playing. Comments welcome. Ratings are in parenthesis before each answer. Answers are rated on a scale of 0-10. With 0 being fishtastic, 10 being amoeba-like awesomeness.
-------------
Question # 1 --

(3) Fold- It's an OK hand, plus you got the button, play it.
(0) Call $1- Use your position, raise it up.
(3) Raise to $2- Sigh.
(8) Raise to $4- Best.
------------

Question # 2 --

(3) Check- Probably your only shot to take the pot down, fire at it.
(6) Bet $4- Meh.
(9) Bet $6- Some like 2/3 to 3/4 pot here...
(9) Bet $8- Some like full pot.
-----------

Question # 3 --

(3) Fold- True, you don't have pot odds, but....
(8) Call- Pot odds not too bad, and you should be able to get paid OK if you hit.
(5) Raise- This might have merit. Would like to hear discussion.
-----------

Question # 4 --

(7) Fold- Best
(3) Call- Likely burning money.
------------

Question # 5 --

(0) VB- nope
(0) IB- Huh?
(10) CB- Yup
(0) SB- no sirree
--------------

Question #6 --

(10) 3--Only the 3 non-heart 8's give you the stone-cold nuts.
(0) 12,10,9- nope, nope and nope.

Hand results: Hero folded and BB was nice enough to show A6s for two pair and he scooped the pot.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:13 PM

Full points, yay. Now if only I had the bankroll for the big game...
Old 09-27-2005, 04:13 PM

Question 2: Against a solid player I like the half-pot bet because it begs a call which only happens if villain has an ace. If villain doesn't have you beat, then he is folding anyway and this bet screams ace to him. Why build a large pot against a solid player when the flop totally misses you?

I admit I usually go 3/4 pot against most players, but if someone looks like they have a clue, I think going half-pot makes sense. Please tell me if I am leaving $$$$ on the table by doing this.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Question 2: Against a solid player I like the half-pot bet because it begs a call which only happens if villain has an ace. If villain doesn't have you beat, then he is folding anyway and this bet screams ace to him. Why build a large pot against a solid player when the flop totally misses you?

I admit I usually go 3/4 pot against most players, but if someone looks like they have a clue, I think going half-pot makes sense. Please tell me if I am leaving $$$$ on the table by doing this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think most solid players would see a 1/2 pot CB as just what it is, a CB. If you have AK, are you 1/2 potting this flop? 1/2 pot looks week and induces a raise. Actually, many people bet 1/2 pot when they flop a monster for this exact reason.

Now, if you substitute solid player for weak-tight player, then 1/2 pot will probably do the job.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You want your flop bet to scream ace to villian. You should be betting here what you'd bet with AK. Continuation bets should be made in amounts consistent with what you'd bet if you had TPTK or an overpair. You won't be leaving money on the table in this specific hand, but you will in future hands if you bet inconsistently between TPTK and a continuation bet. Good players will pick up that tell, make a note, and know when you bet 1/2 pot it's a continuation bet and blow you off the hand. Additionally, if you're only betting half-pot with TPTK on the flop, you're likely leaving money on the table.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think most solid players would see a 1/2 pot CB as just what it is, a CB. If you have AK, are you 1/2 potting this flop? 1/2 pot looks week and induces a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since an ace fell on a ragged flop why not try to extract value and represent a monster? Doesn't the ace on the flop change the texture of the hand and the likelihood that the button hit his card and wants to extract value? What drawing hand can villain reasonably have to warrant a 1/2 pot call?

I agree a 1/2 pot bet is weak if no A,K or Q hits the flop and will surely get raised, but who raises OOP the original raiser here with air? And if they do and OR folds, OR should find plenty of spots to take villain's stack. I am trying to focus on villain being a solid player and not the normal donk. Am I over thinking this one?
Old 09-27-2005, 04:37 PM

My first perfect score on only my second quiz...I'm so proud... [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2005, 04:46 PM

If I had TPTK on a ragged board (no flush or straight draws), what is wrong with a half pot bet to build up some equity so I can ramp it up on the turn?

In your scenario, this is villain's first hand and he is a solid player. How does he rate me? Using your example, he may know that I always make a 3/4 pot continuation bet here. I agree varying your betting pattern and play is correct, I just think this looks a spot where doing it might give you a better chance to induce a fold if villain exhibits 3rd or, God forbid, 4th level thinking.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Continuation bets should be made in amounts consistent with what you'd bet if you had TPTK or an overpair.

[/ QUOTE ]

...which is why I said bet $8. Virtually every flop bet I make is pot-sized.