Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 04:26 AM

Default Just gone busto, need help

Hi all, this is my first post on the forum, (although I've lurked around here many times before). I started playing poker 2 years ago, and at that time it was merely a hobby. Nonetheless, I turned $50 in PP and $80 in PS to $2500 and $1000 respectively, starting at FR micro and moving up to FR .5/1. My PS account, however, was hacked and all my money was stolen, so i cashed out my PP money and stopped playing for a while.
I started playing again this fall, and after a couple deposits of $50 or $80, I was once again doing well. This time I started on FT with 5.5 SNGs, grinded them to the $10 SNGs until about $500, and then I moved onto cash games. I started with 6max .10/.25, and moved all the way up to .5/1 again with a BR of $3000 (I also took some shots at 3/6 with great success). All was fine until I hit a rut; part of it was me playing poorly, but a lot of it was getting really unlucky, and I dropped 20 buyins at the $100NL level (this was a few days ago).
At first I was distraught, and I took a day off, but then the next day I took a shot at 3/6 NL and I doubled my buyin to around $2100. I decided to fool around, and play this dude heads up at the .5/1 table (he had about $24 or so and looked like a total fish). I put in $25 and played pretty standard, but he kept hitting cards on me. It was seriously a miracle. I'd raise prf, he'd reraise, I call, i catch TPTK on flop and he has the nut straight. I busted prett quickly, like 15 hands in, and I rebought, this time for double the amount. Same thing happened. I was fuming now, and I closed the window and foolishly decided to play $3/6 again. I bust twice to lose pretty much my entire bankroll.
Now I know this is a long rambling post, but my question is, what am i to do from here? i took the remaining money I had and tried to play a bit in the micro stakes, but it just seemed inconsequential after having played 3/6. I feel like, if I were to go back to playing poker, grinding it out at the small stakes would be too difficult. I don't know if this makes sense or not, it's a lot of rambling, but I appreciate responses.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:35 AM

Default Re: Just gone busto, need help

I would take a break, you seem to be in the wrong mindset to take another shot at building a bankroll (anytime soon). Either take a break or take out a 2nd mortgage on your house, head to Vegas and put it all on Red. Insta-Bankroll.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would take a break, you seem to be in the wrong mindset to take another shot at building a bankroll (anytime soon). Either take a break or take out a 2nd mortgage on your house, head to Vegas and put it all on Red. Insta-Bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically your a mess. You are subject to extreme tilt and when you tilt you do so its at limits that you are not close to rolled for. You lose 75 playing HU 0.5/1 and it sends you over the edge - thats oh so soft of you. Nobody who is this soft can be succesful.

Take a long break and when you come back play 50NL or below until your get a grasp on your bankroll mangement and tilt issues. It might also help to stop thinking that your going to make money playing poker - play for fun.

Lucky
Old 03-14-2007, 01:56 PM

There's no secret to bankroll management. You either do it, or you don't.

Pick a plan. Make it as aggressive or conservative as you need for your personality. For you, I think you'll want something fairly aggressive. Try this.

Move UP when: Your roll is more than 150BB of the limit above you.
Move DOWN when: Your roll is less than 150BB of the limit below you.

That's more aggressive then many would tell you to play, but a riskier plan you stick to is better than no plan at all. Be honest with yourself and don't set a bankroll management plan that you won't follow or you'll abandon it altogether after a few days like a bad crash diet.

Part of your plan is also the determination of when you'll make your first withdraw. Pick a number. Say, $5k. That means you will not be making a single withdraw from that account unless it is for more than $5k. For me, making the funds pseudo-untouchable removes much tilt. Now, instead of thinking "I just lost $500...damn!" I think "It's gonna take me another 5 days before I can cashout now. Damn!"

Big mental distinction there for me.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:00 PM

they way things are going ill be making a busto post shortly. just drop down and get your game abck together is the only thing i can advise you. i used to have ahdr time moving down because i went form playing 600 and 1000nl to 100 and 200, but if thats what i gotta do to rebuild, then ill kick some ssnl ass.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:35 PM

Quit poker, get a job. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2007, 08:15 PM

How do you take some shots at 3/6 NL with great success and have only 3k?
Old 03-16-2007, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you take some shots at 3/6 NL with great success and have only 3k?

[/ QUOTE ]
great success = getting lucky and doubling up his initial buyin !
Old 03-16-2007, 08:02 AM

How did your account get hacked?
Old 03-16-2007, 10:06 AM

I suppose great success is a big exaggeration. I some success, some failures, but mostly positive experiences.

I'm not exactly sure how my account was hacked; PS support says that it may have been a result from the overload of spyware on my computer. Whatever the case was, I live in NY, and some ahole in California had my money.