Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 09:06 PM

Default Things you thing its ridiculous people dont know/assume everyone knows

It always interests me when I mention something I think is completely obvious or very well known only to discover thats not the case (at least to the degree I thought).

For example there was an obvious skunk smell outside my dorm today and when walking back from dinner my roommate remarked that it smelled horrible. I replied obviously, the skunk smell. He looked at me like what? I was like the smell....the skunk. Then he looked at me and said, "like I know what skunk smells like? I was pretty shocked. I assumed everyone knew what skunk smelled like, I didn't know how you couldn't really. It's something I had take so for granted I guess, learning it at young age almost subconsciously. I asked a few other guys, and a few of them didn't know waht skunk smelled like either. Of course when thinking about it I realized it's not that ridiculous not knowing, especially if you grew up in a city where there is going to be very few (no?) skunks.

Another thing would be when a guy doesn't know who Bob Dylan is (nothing detailed, just knowing he is a musician). It's not like I'm a Bob Dylan fan or anything, I can't even name a song of his, but I mean, I just assumed people know who Bob Dylan is. I mean its Bob Dylan?

Maybe I just give people to much credit though. I was shocked to find out how freaking stupid girls are when it comes to sports. I mean I'm not a sports wizard by any means, but isn't it hard NOT to know who Jerry Rice is?

What are things you guys have taken completely for granted and been shocked that people didn't know? And what do you think contributes to you thinking it is so obvious, when it apparently is not?
Old 03-13-2007, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Things you thing its ridiculous people dont know/assume everyone knows

I've known people who don't know how to play Paper/Rock/Scissors. I couldn't comprehend this.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Things you thing its ridiculous people dont know/assume everyone knows

There is no god.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but isn't it hard NOT to know who Jerry Rice is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Football player I think, but couldn't tell you what team or if he still plays. Asked my roomate and he didn't know either.

This one's pretty easy to not know if you don't watch a single sport on tv.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:23 PM

Default Re: Things you thing its ridiculous people dont know/assume everyone k

[ QUOTE ]
There is no god.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no god.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great, another one of these guys.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've known people who don't know how to play Paper/Rock/Scissors. I couldn't comprehend this.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I am talking about, it seems so retarded to me to know now this. This is like a fundamental part of growing up. I have to assume this is in America though, because I think it would be worth mentioning if it wasn't. I have no idea what types of games are popular in other cultures.

[ QUOTE ]

Football player I think, but couldn't tell you what team or if he still plays. Asked my roomate and he didn't know either.

This one's pretty easy to not know if you don't watch a single sport on tv.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is much more unstable to not know I guess. If you somehow were to avoid sports your whole life or just not care, but growing up how I did that even seems hard for me, it basically wasn't avoidable.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:44 PM

That there are several players in the NBA with more skill than Jordan had in his prime, and that Larry Bird wouldn't start for any team nowadays. I hate it when people refuse to aknowledge that professional sports, basketball in particular, are waaaaay harder than they were even 15 years ago.

I guess it wouldn't bother me if some chick or guy who didn't watch sports didn't notice this, but when legitimate NBA fans don't it bothers me.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:49 PM

Doug,

hmm... no. On all accounts. Provide some insight/data/links/proof and I'll reconsider. Maybe start another thread in Sporting Events to discuss.

edit: I'm a legitimate NBA fan. Hardcore to a degree.

ps You realize Adam Morrison starts on an NBA team, right?
Old 03-13-2007, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That there are several players in the NBA with more skill than Jordan had in his prime

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, because it's soooooo easy to judge skill. It's such an objective science, why anyone would think they can argue a players talent is beyond me. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]