Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 07:07 PM

Default Shooting Star preflop against Elezra

Eli had been playing a lot of pots, most for a raise. I had a great table that allowed me to 3 bet and float him pretty liberally. I had Eli and Liz Lieu on my direct right and some pretty tight/ABC players on my left.

After the last time I floated then two barreled him on a AQxx board, he told me (jokingly, but not really) that he was 'getting tired of that'.

So there's the history.

I chipped up to 40k pretty quickly. He had been up and down a bit, then busted Locutus2002 and had around 26k.

Blinds 100-200 a25

EP (20k) limps..he had limped a lot and not reraised once, so I'm not too worried about him.

Folded to Eli (26k) who makes it 1200 on the button.

I'm in the SB w/ AKs and 40k.

Call or Raise, and if raise, then how much and what's the plan?
Old 03-13-2007, 07:11 PM

Default Re: Shooting Star preflop against Elezra

4-4.5k. call a shove or 5bet all in over a 4 bet.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:13 PM

6x is kind of a big raise, though given the situation it doesn't have to mean much. i would probably just call because with the history between u2 i'm not sure how wide a range he can 4-bet with and since you seem to have such a good table chipping up so well, risking 26k here in a very marginal spot doesn't seem like the best option. it also disguises ur hand and limper might come along with dominated cards.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You serious about the last part here? I don't mind a raise (really think call may be best OOP). We want to maybe flip for over half our nice stack while at a good table?

I was specifically talking to a buddy about this spot and would like more input. Even if we knew Elezra had a pair and it was truly a flip, should we take it at this point with a good stack?
Old 03-13-2007, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You serious about the last part here? I don't mind a raise (really think call may be best OOP). We want to maybe flip for over half our nice stack while at a good table?

I was specifically talking to a buddy about this spot and would like more input. Even if we knew Elezra had a pair and it was truly a flip, should we take it at this point with a good stack?

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe not a naked flip, but a flip after putting in 4-5k, and thus a pretty decent overlay? hell [censored] yes.

I would be perfectly happy raising to 5k here and calling a shove.

I think calling is an option here too, I think I do both a pretty decent % of the time. If I raise i'd make it 5k tho i think so to increase the chance he shoves and decrease the chance he just calls. I also would be hesitant to c-bet tho on a lot of flops, cause it sounds like given the dynamic he wont be folding 99 on a T43 board.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:34 PM

I raise to 4000 and expect Eli to call with atc. If he shoves or 4bets I am probably folding because from what I've seen of his play, he loves to see flops AND THEN bluff. So a 4bet looks incredibly strong. Maybe he knows this and will 4bet lighter, but I'd be very surprised if he would rather 4bet bluff than call in position.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:37 PM

I don't know if it matters how much to reraise. I would reraise and go allin preflop so matter what.

If you get flat called, I wouldn't have a set plan. It depends on the flop.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise to 4000 and expect Eli to call with atc. If he shoves or 4bets I am probably folding because from what I've seen of his play, he loves to see flops AND THEN bluff. So a 4bet looks incredibly strong. Maybe he knows this and will 4bet lighter, but I'd be very surprised if he would rather 4bet bluff than call in position.

[/ QUOTE ]

what is your plan post flop? Do you expect to cbet and take it down on all rag flops a lot? Do you expect to stack AT+ on A22 etc? I do not really know how elezra plays v welll so my preferences in this hand could be way off.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:00 PM

i hate ace king oop so i reraise 100% here against a pro im not looking to "outplay him" this is a good spot given hes tired of you to show him a real hand continue your agressive play and see how it goes
Old 03-13-2007, 09:02 PM

5k call shove, anyone advising 3betting and folding to a shove that is such awful advice and if planning on wasting such a strong hand just flat call if you are too mcuh of a vagina to flip getting a nice price