Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 04:52 PM

Default Perform Poker?

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.25/$0.5
7 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $15.10
UTG+1: $24.10
Hero: $7.65
CO: $20.35
Button: $5.30
SB: $48.45
BB: $5.90

Pre-flop: (7 players) Hero is MP1 with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, CO calls <font color="aaaaaa">(3.4:2)</font>, 3 folds.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5.4SB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls <font color="aaaaaa">(11.4:1)</font>.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5.7BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, CO calls <font color="aaaaaa">(6.7:1)</font>

Background: I'm very new at poker, and am somewhat under the influence of reading 'Performance Poker' this afternoon (basically: I play 19 hands, but very agressively, which includes raising low pairs if I remember correctly).

My question is: what to do here?
Old 03-13-2007, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Perform Poker?

does "performance poker" tell you to spew as much as possible? cuz that's what you've done.

as played, i fold to the flop raise.

i only raise preflop from MP1 if i know the table is super tight.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:59 PM

Well, he just called, didn't he? Where's the river?

Other than that, I don't really like it. Raising 33's in MP is relatively thin - you have to be on a pretty tight table to make that with any ammount of confidence. The more likely outcome is as in the hand: you get one caller and a flop that is BOUND to be overcards to your pair. You'll have a baby pair with potentially any card to come hurting you and even IF you flop your set, you'll likely not be able to milk it properly. So, I'd just fold pf.
On the flop, you correctly follow up with a c-bet. However, as villain raises you and your most likely range is some sort of OC-combo, and villain appearing relatively confident that he beats said OC-combos, his most likely holding is some pair. Now, what pair do you beat...
Old 03-13-2007, 05:00 PM

I guess I got a bit blinded by the fact that I had two pair. What would you put the villain on?
Old 03-13-2007, 05:02 PM

Doesn't matter. It beats you.

Also: [ QUOTE ]
I play 19 hands, but very agressively, which includes raising low pairs if I remember correctly

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, but whenever I have real money on the line, I would like to know a bit better than "if I remember correctly."
Old 03-13-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I got a bit blinded by the fact that I had two pair. What would you put the villain on?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.. on the turn you have a boat, but your hand is vcery weak. I would put villian most likely on a 6, or a PP bigger than yours.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't matter. It beats you.

Also: [ QUOTE ]
I play 19 hands, but very agressively, which includes raising low pairs if I remember correctly

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, but whenever I have real money on the line, I would like to know a bit better than "if I remember correctly."

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite.

Anyway: villain had TT, which I did not see coming. TT seems like a high pair to slowplay. Or else he has me figured as an overly agressive tight fish [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img].
Old 03-13-2007, 05:18 PM

He wasn't slowplaying at all.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:30 PM

Reku,

Even though this is shorthanded, I think this was a bad play.

good on you for posting this though. even if you get slammed, it's good for your game. bad for the ego, good for your game [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The PFR is entirely unjustified. What are you *possibly* going to beat on the flop and after? 22? Ace-high? You're out of position as well.

To be fair, you *might* get everyone to fold PF and take the blinds, but I'm guessing not that frequently.

But the PFR is also bad becaus even if you do make your set (1/9 of the time or whatever) there's no way you're going to extract 9 BB from a single villain HU.

PFR-ing with 33 presents you with a lose-lose situation. You are *not* going to win with unimproved 33 except possibly HU. But if play this hand HU, you are unlikely to get the 8BB you need to make this a profitable play. This is why you don't PFR 33.

Your bet out on the flop is in tempo and I don't hate it, but you really, relaly, really should have folded to villains raise on the flop.

Think about it: what is villain raising with that you have beat? If he has literally *any* pocket pair, you're drawing basically dead. If he has AK or 2 OCs, he's still winning this about 50% of the time. remember, that pair or 2's on teh board helps his hand too!

even if he has something like A6 or K2 you're drawing basically dead.

and chances are he has SOMETHING. he did call your PFR cold. even if he's a bit of a n00b, this probably means a halfway decent hand (like, say, 55 or KQo).

i could go on, but the others will no doubt add more.

Sorry mate, but this was a train wreck. But this is how we learn [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-13-2007, 05:34 PM

Thanks marty, that's very good criticism.

The reason why I thought that raise might work is that I play so very few hands (VP$ 17) that - usually - when I do raise, a lot of people fold. I was hoping to steal the pot. When he called, and I saw the two pair, I kind of thought: ha! Gotcha! And then everything went fuzzy and I went tilt [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]