Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 03:57 PM

Default PCA big hand, day 2.

For some reason I never came across to post this. I dunno if it's that interesting, but it was pretty big for me.

Day 2 of the PCA, blinds 600-1200 (I think) with an ante.
I have ~95k. Villian has ~85k. Both way above average.

I limp 55 utg+2 (comments?).
Two limpers after me.
Villian makes it 5400 on the button.

He is a very bad loose player. He's not aggro in the sense that he doesn't 3-bet at all, but he bets whenever checks to him and has raised some garbage in LP only to play them poorly post flop.

I call. limpers fold. Comments so far?

Flop is J72, two spades. I have none.

I'm going to check, but before I even get the chance he already has chips lined up, trying to look as confident as possible, although he's shaking quite obviously.

I check. He fires 8k.

Play? Anyone leads out? Fold preflop first time? Fold preflop 2nd time? l/rr? (I'll continue if there's any intrest)
Old 03-13-2007, 03:59 PM

Default Re: PCA big hand, day 2.

The way you described him sounds like he either has crap or a set. I wouldn't check-raise bluff here; while your read could be proper, I think you're risking too much. If he's as weak as you say too, he might make a call with a hand that "shouldn't" too. I think I'd just let it go after checking. A lead into this situation seems reasonable though.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:01 PM

raise pf the first time. its just such an obviously profitable play, because its such an easy hand to play. you raise and CB and often take down the pot. when you get played back at, you almost always fold if you dont hit a set, and you win a huge pot when you get played back at and do hit a set.

if you limp it should always be with intentions of calling a raise, so that part is easy. i'd just check/fold the flop because your preflop call gets a lot worse if you start floating on boards like this.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:02 PM

You can obviously lay this purely for set value so pre-flop is fine. I'd drop it on the flop agaisnt a bad player with a lot of chips but you could give some more details on what flavour of bad. If he's well above average, I'd suggest that it's likely to be the wrong flavour to continue with 55 OOP even with the equity that your stack and his fear of losing his gives you.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:06 PM

Bad in the sense of 3 barrelling. He came to the table with 130k, bluffed like 50k in a couple of pots, made a pathetic all in call on the river against gambler2k4 with middle pair and then won a flip with QQ vs AK (or the other way around) to double back up.

He was most def the weak spot at the table for me, way before the hand. That might have misled me into carrying on with the hand.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:07 PM

I just realized I had the flop amount wrong. He didn't bet that strong. He bet 8k, but the betting amount seemed pretty random at that point. (he just picked a bunch of chips and stacked them).

Either way, I probably misplayed every street here, so I'll just carry on.

I called.

Turn is a 6h. Board is J762 two hearts two spades. Once again, button makes it very visable (and loud) that he's going to bet. Pretty much stumbling over his own chips before I make a move.

At this point I'm convinced I'm ahead. I mostly worry of him being on a flush draw and c/ring me all in (which is a very stupid thought, given how he played).

I glance over, chuckling a bit at his over the top performence and check. At that point to induce a bluff. Is that extremely bad?

He fires in. When I ask how much, he seems like he has no idea how much he bet exactly. Dealer says 12k.

I call.

River is a 2, pairing the board, bricking flush draws. I'm about to lead out, but he is basically putting chips in the pot.

I had enough, I say "I havn't acted yet". He says "I know, but that 2 won't beat me".

I check. He bets 20k, leaving himself a bit over 25k behind.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raise pf the first time. its just such an obviously profitable play, because its such an easy hand to play. you raise and CB and often take down the pot. when you get played back at, you almost always fold if you dont hit a set, and you win a huge pot when you get played back at and do hit a set.

if you limp it should always be with intentions of calling a raise, so that part is easy. i'd just check/fold the flop because your preflop call gets a lot worse if you start floating on boards like this.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't agree with anything you said.

Raising 55 from early position is not always best. You often get reraised or don't know where you are at OOP. I am not saying limping is better, but I would sometimes limp a small pair in early position.

In this case, I would limp/call, but in some situations it is a fold, and you can sometimes limpreraise.

I don't think this flop is an automatic check/fold. You don't know whether you are ahead or not, which is the same problem you have if you raise. However, there are various ways to play it, and folding is not always best. This is a relatively dry flop, so I would be inclined to make a play on the flop or turn or just call down.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't agree with anything you said.

Raising 55 from early position is not always best. You often get reraised or don't know where you are at OOP. I am not saying limping is better, but I would sometimes limp a small pair in early position.

In this case, I would limp/call, but in some situations it is a fold, and you can sometimes limpreraise.

I don't think this flop is an automatic check/fold. You don't know whether you are ahead or not, which is the same problem you have if you raise. However, there are various ways to play it, and folding is not always best. This is a relatively dry flop, so I would be inclined to make a play on the flop or turn or just call down.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

so in this post you basically said "you can do anything, and its probably ok"
Old 03-13-2007, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just realized I had the flop amount wrong. He didn't bet that strong. He bet 8k, but the betting amount seemed pretty random at that point. (he just picked a bunch of chips and stacked them).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not enticing more barrels with 55 and so I'm not continuing unless I have a firm idea he will fold to resistance, or how he responds to resistance, or at least how he plays AK. Bear in mind that I don't play big buyin events, but you want to be stacking these guys with the best hand not pushing them off medium sized pots OOP, I would have thought.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not enticing more barrels with 55 and so I'm not continuing unless I have a firm idea he will fold to resistance, or how he responds to resistance, or at least how he plays AK. Bear in mind that I don't play big buyin events, but you want to be stacking these guys with the best hand not pushing them off medium sized pots OOP, I would have thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not defending my play to that extent. I have obviously played this hand badly.