Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 12:51 PM

Default 5NL steal attempt rivered straight vs shortstack

attempted a steal on the button. possibly marginal and a lot of people say dont steal at 5NL but i do on occasion since i play fairly tight. realizing that 108s is not a hand i normally raise with, how was postflop handled?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($5.11)
SB ($1.11)
BB ($5.09)
UTG ($1.98)
MP ($2.97)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.08</font>, SB calls $0.07, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($0.18) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $0.34</font>, Hero calls $0.24.

Turn: ($0.86) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.4</font>, Hero calls $0.40.

River: ($1.66) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.29 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $0.29.

Final Pot: $2.24
Old 03-13-2007, 01:00 PM

Default Re: 5NL steal attempt rivered straight vs shortstack

It's a steal and you should let it go if you don't make it. I'd fold on the flop.

Dime gave you this one, but the next time he might be playing guitar with Jimi Hendrix and won't be able to help you out.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:21 PM

for tha record T8s when folded to on the button is a raise all day pretty much unless there r weird circumstances based on tha blinds.

as played given the fact that SB is sorta short i just muck it after he raises on the flop. he isnt all that deep so even when u hit u arent gonna b able to get much more money out of him (implied odds)

id also b bettin a bit more on ur cbet prolly like .15ish. 3/4ths pot is much better imo then 1/2 pot.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:22 PM

Its probably close to neutral ev given villians stack size, good for your image (not really a consideration at this level though) but for it to be profitable, villian needs to have a deeper stack.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:28 PM

in response to Pontus, dime didnt do jack for me cause the villian backdoored his flush. he raised with air + no draw on the flop.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:34 PM

Make a note on SB. Watch if he does this regularly. If he does, you can push your OESD on the flop next time. (But be careful that the situation is really one where he would be likely to do this with air, e.g. a steal situation.)
Old 03-13-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in response to Pontus, dime didnt do jack for me cause the villian backdoored his flush. he raised with air + no draw on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't realize that. But he was probably drinking some Jack up there. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-13-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
for tha record T8s when folded to on the button is a raise all day pretty much unless there r weird circumstances based on tha blinds.

as played given the fact that SB is sorta short i just muck it after he raises on the flop. he isnt all that deep so even when u hit u arent gonna b able to get much more money out of him (implied odds)

id also b bettin a bit more on ur cbet prolly like .15ish. 3/4ths pot is much better imo then 1/2 pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-13-2007, 01:59 PM

PF is superstandard. Flop bet is a little light, but OK. Definitely c-bet here though. As played, I'd just muck to his flop raise, your implied odds aren't really there. Definitely muck to the turn bet, YOU DO NOT HAVE ODDS TO CALL HERE. Villain only has $0.30 behind, and you're getting just over 3:1. You're 4.5:1 to hit here, so you need to make up another $0.60 or so to show a profit on a turn call, which is IMPOSSIBLE given stack sizes. You absolutely NEED to fold this turn.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:07 PM

that is one leak i have, i often fail to notice stack sizes throughout the hand. i have noticed that fact and have started playing certain hands differently against short players PF but i still have a ways to go. chances are, i didnt notice that he didnt have any money left halfway through the hand, i probably would have let up on the turn if i had.