Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 10:37 AM

Default 50NL: AA smooth calls an OOP 3bet and barely makes money set vs set??

I don't even know how I made so little off this hand. Just an overabundance of passivity. But seeing as how I'm starting to get used to 2+2 hand discussion, I think I'll take a stab at critiquing myself first.

PF: Smooth calling here is OK, depending on read and opponent, but most of the time I should be 4betting here.

Flop: A small "feeler" bet would have been optimal, as he would likely call with KK/QQ, it doesn't give away my hand, plus it builds the pot and gives him the opportunity to reraise.

Turn: Just calling here is worse than checking behind on the flop. There's now a flush draw on the board, and a Q, T or 7 brings a straight scare. Plus, my goal should be to win the maximum amount possible and calling here makes a river all-in call when I'm ahead, very unlikely.

River: I actually put him on KK preflop (which makes my PF smooth call even stupider) so when I saw that K I was ready to auto reraise AI. Then the check came and I figured that I might as well value bet. As played, I think a 1/2 pot would probably get called as often as a 3/4 or PSB. So I think I managed to miss value on every single street.

All critique welcome. Either on the hand as played or my analysis of it.

Full Tilt Poker
$0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Ring Game
7 Players
LegoPoker Hand Converter

<font color="black">Stack Sizes</font>
UTG+1: $38.75
MP1: $21
MP2: $26.30
Hero (CO): $50.75
SB: $15
BB: $83.45
UTG: $70.20

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($0.75, 7 players)
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2</font>, SB folds, <font color="red">BB raises to $5.50</font>, Hero calls $3.50

<font color="black">Flop:</font> A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($11.25, 2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks

<font color="black">Turn:</font> A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] ($11.25, 2 players)
<font color="red">BB bets $6</font>, Hero calls $6

<font color="black">River:</font> A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] ($23.25, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $12</font>, BB calls $12

<font color="black">Results:</font>
Hero had A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (three of a kind, Aces) and won $44.90
BB had J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (three of a kind, Jacks)
Final Pot: $44.90 ($2.35 rake)
Old 03-13-2007, 10:48 AM

Default Re: 50NL: AA smooth calls an OOP 3bet and barely makes money set vs set??

Push the river at least. A set is calling a push every time at these stakes, and nothing else is calling $12, except a very unlikely two pair.

I think you have to raise the turn; he could be betting TT, which may call a raise, or a set. If he has KK or QQ, you're not going to make any more money here unless you get a freak river (which you did).
Old 03-13-2007, 10:58 AM

Default Re: 50NL: AA smooth calls an OOP 3bet and barely makes money set vs se

What's the rule of thumb for smooth calling a 3bet w/AA in position? Only do it against an aggressive/maniac or a "thinking" player?
Old 03-13-2007, 11:07 AM

stop posting results in your OP, and in the title
Old 03-13-2007, 12:18 PM

I don't "hate" the flop, but for chirst's sake raise the turn making it easy to get it all in on river if he doesn't push.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:19 PM

flop is OK, raise the turn, pot the river, you didnt get paid because you didnt put any money in the pot.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:33 PM

Default Re: 50NL: AA smooth calls an OOP 3bet and barely makes money set vs set??

nothing like seeing two people with monsters outslow play each other.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:20 PM

I do cold-call 3-bets with AA in position often, as I feel peoples 3-betting range is much wider than the range for calling/raising a 4-bet. I'm too much of a nit to 4-bet light to open up their range of calling/raising a 4-bet.