Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 05:36 AM

Default TT $5 freezeout

I really have a problem playing mid pairs against raises, so I would like your advice on this hand.
Villain just sat down and played 2 out of 6 hands, no strange things happened.

stacksizes:

UTG+2 2,970.
Hero 6,195.

The dealer is seat 2.

ludovix posts a blind of 50.
monterubio posts a blind of 100.

(Hero is dealt 10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img])

Pre-flop:
2 folds, UTG+2 raises 250, Hero ...
Old 03-13-2007, 05:45 AM

Default Re: TT $5 freezeout

I would raise to 700 here. Both to isolate on raiser and define your hand. If raiser comes back over the top all in its QQ+ AK and I can let it go. I dont mind seeing a flop though. If he calls we have lots of options.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:49 AM

Hate to say it, but fold.

If you were shorter, say 700, I would (if he was a v loose raiser) shove all in, and hopefully he would fold

Problem is, he is utg+2, so prolly has a hand better than ours.

We are not deep enough to play for set value, and when we play for set value, we ideally want to be the third or fourth player to cold call, so there is less chance of a rr behind us, and we are not out of relative position when pf raiser bets.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:51 AM

Re-Raise to 700 if he pushes instant call only risking half stack and you will still have lots of play with blinds only 50/100
Old 03-13-2007, 07:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hate to say it, but fold.

If you were shorter, say 700, I would (if he was a v loose raiser) shove all in, and hopefully he would fold

Problem is, he is utg+2, so prolly has a hand better than ours.

We are not deep enough to play for set value, and when we play for set value, we ideally want to be the third or fourth player to cold call, so there is less chance of a rr behind us, and we are not out of relative position when pf raiser bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think for a second we are behind his opening range. I would put him on a big range inc small pairs and suitcons. We need to raise here 1010 is a good hand plus if he calls we have position. We can represent a big A if need be on the flop or call him down with an overcard showing. Obviously a 10 on the flop would be nice but we do not need it to win the hand. No way am I folding 1010 for one raise in this situation.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:56 AM

UTG raises 2.5x BB i dont blame omaha for thinking villian has a stronger hand here then us i would suspect the same thing
think about it
he has a good hand but doesnt want to scare to many people out so instead standard 3x BB he raises 2.5xBB

this also kinda depends on what your feeling is about the villian but i would fold here most times
a reraise would just get called here and then you still dont know what the villian has
Fold 80% call 20% for me here
Old 03-13-2007, 08:16 AM

Folding TT here seems very tight to me and unless the villian is a hardcore rock im not folding here..

No info on villian, but its a $5 donkament. The raise doesnt mean anything in itself, 2.5x could be the norm for the table or the raisers norm..i dont think you can conclusively say this is a monster raising small..

Running it through stove..

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 54.010% 53.34% 00.67% 761742948 9552924.00 { TT }
Hand 1: 45.990% 45.32% 00.67% 647212740 9552924.00 { 88+, ATs+, KJs+, QJs, JTs, T9s, AJo+, KJo+, JTo, T9o }

The range may seem a bit wide but in a $5 donkament I wouldnt be suprised at this range..

I would definately put in a raise here as mentioned to see where ur at and potentially isolate with position. Looking at the gap concept, would you raise with a weaker hand than TT UTG+2 - yes, so its AT LEAST a call, although best play is to raise imo.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:52 AM

Looking at those numbers, I like a fold even more.
What I forgot to add was that I have a decent sized stack. I was positioned about 6th out of the 70 remaining.
The spot in itself is very marginal, and with such a stack I think you would rather keep variance down and have loads of time to wait for better spots.
Thanks for the replies all.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:03 AM

I hate folding in this position. You have a big stack and players should fear you and the bets you make. Keep passing positions like this and people will take liberties with your blinds and your stack. You have to keep fighting at the tables and here I see no reason to slow down. Yes you have a big stack but once you get into the mindset that you do not want to risk it you have already lost.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:10 AM

I know I have to use the stack, but messing around with EP raises is not the way to do it IMHO.