Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 08:12 PM

Default Occasionally I like to play 1.6

But my connection is seriously screwed up when I play. My rates are fine; rate: 16000, cl_cmdrate 101, cl_updaterate 50. But, I get a ton of choke pretty much constantly. Loss isn't as bad, it jumps up to 1-2 a few times a minute, but nothing constant. Occasionlly, it consantly hovers around 5-8. My ping is OK but had better with different connections. Unfortunately, I constantly FEEL lag, with certainty.

However, when I go to cmd and ping www.google.com or wherever, I ping in the teens and zero packet loss. My download speeds are fine as well. So, I'm a little confused here as to why I only lag when I play CS. I don't really play any other video games, so I can't say if it's only Steam.

Does anyone know what could possibly be the problem here? Is it my ISP? My computer? My router or cable modem? How could I find out? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Occasionally I like to play 1.6

Choke is indicative of a bandwidth bottleneck basically, try dropping your cmdrate and rate. Choke is telling you its trying to send (or receive) more data then the pipe is capable of supporting - and that could be a result of anything in between you and the server.

Ping and bandwidth have no direct correlation with one another. A dialup modem is capable of pinging 110ms, but has ass for bandwidth, yet another player has DSL, pings 150 but can download 5x as fast.

Not much you can do except keep tweaking the settings - perhaps find better servers to play at.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Occasionally I like to play 1.6

Try setting your rate 25000, cl_cmdrate 35 and cl_updaterate 35, after that try setting that last two to 60. 101 is a LAN rate so its usually not the best if your having problems.

If that doesn't work try to find a default cs config bc you might have accidentally changed a setting or something.

Also i assume you've tried different servers? Try joining one thats as close to you as possible and see if it still lags.

What speed internet do you have? (like how much up/down)