Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 02:43 PM

Default First hand, $50 NL HU Tourney.

Blinds 10/20, stacks are 1000.

Villain is BTN, and open pushes first hand. I've never seen him before. This is online, BTW.

What's your calling range?

I'll throw in a little bonus question too. Same scenario as before, but this time, you know one of your opponents cards is A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. What's your calling range now? What if you knew one of his cards was J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]?
Old 03-12-2007, 04:12 PM

Default Re: First hand, $50 NL HU Tourney.

AA, KK, QQ, AK is probably it in a 50. I've never played that high but I imagine there's a lot less of that "open push first hand" type thing. AQs and JJ though are worth discussing here, if he's open shoving the first hand he's going to probably be a completely donk.

If he has an ace I don't know if I call with anything except AA, AK.

If he has a J I would call with JJ, QQ, KK, AA, AJ, AQ, AK.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:42 AM

Default Re: First hand, $50 NL HU Tourney.

[ QUOTE ]
AA, KK, QQ, AK is probably it in a 50. I've never played that high but I imagine there's a lot less of that "open push first hand" type thing. AQs and JJ though are worth discussing here, if he's open shoving the first hand he's going to probably be a completely donk.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'd be more apt to call with JJ than AQs. AQs is the real tough one for me. AJ gets tossed, and I think I could let go of AQo, interestingly, but AQs is just so pretty.

[ QUOTE ]
If he has an ace I don't know if I call with anything except AA, AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting fact: your equity with KK is greater than your equity with AK if you're up against {AA, ATs+, ATo+} or tighter, but when A9 and weaker get in there, AK has greater equity than KK.

[ QUOTE ]
If he has a J I would call with JJ, QQ, KK, AA, AJ, AQ, AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really think it's a good idea to call with AJ? If he's got AJ too, it's no biggie to fold or call, but if he's got JJ, it's a pretty bad move. Clearly JJ+ are easy calls, and AQ+, but I'm not sure about AJ. And how about KQ? Did you not think of it, or did you choose to leave it out?