Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 03:31 AM

Default Game Selection 10-20/30-60

I'm having an arguement with a friend and thought you guys might like to drop a line or ten.

Here's the deal.
Game varies from 10-20 to 30-60. Not a great supply/mix of players until the weekend. Usually the game had between five to seven pro/semi pro players during the week.
Most have a pretty good memory of my friend.
He is super tight and usually deserves no action when he raises. He has won playing the same style of poker for the last five yrs or so. He plays ABC as you can get and for a thinking player he seems IMOP easy to run over.

Here is the aruguement.
I say the game is worthless to sit in during the week because the play is better than average and the pots are usually small with very little dead money in them.

He begs to differ because he uses his tight table image to manipulate the players in a few medium sized pots which leads to him grinding out small wins.

I try to tell him that the EV is against him and that he will get killed over time when his hands don't hold or he isn't able to make a few moves on these guys.

I say you play the game only when it's good/great. Why risk your roll because you don't want to step down and play 4-8?

Over the long term what do you think?
Old 03-12-2007, 07:18 AM

Default Re: Game Selection 10-20/30-60

Try it and see...
Old 03-12-2007, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Try it and see...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya. How does a tight unimaginative player manipulate his opponents into playing medium sized pots?
Old 03-12-2007, 04:52 PM

I'm just saying only his friend know how HE really plays. If he feels he can beat the game, then he should maybe try it out for a awhile and see what happens. Everyone on here can give their opinion, but the only way to see for sure is to do it.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:49 PM

He has to vary his game a little to make it work.
Mid sized pot? He will check-raise a few players who can lay down top pair if they get resistance from a known tight player---this results in a few medium sized pots.