Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 01:23 AM

Default SB play

Hey guys,

A number of people I know that play poker regularly were having an argument today. This argument was concerning SB strategy when folded around to.

The argument made by one of the players was that he would play every hand that is folded around to him on the SB. He believes he would raise approximately 50% of the time, and call 50% of the time.

He believed this to be correct because he is getting 3-1 on the call; and you are rarely that far behind with any holding. He said he would only fold the SB if he had limped or raised a number of hands in this situation, and the BB had raised/reraised him a high percentage of the time.

The rest of us disagreed. Our argument was that you are out of position, and you are getting yourself into horrible situations with hands such as 23o, 38o, etc. Making this strategy -EV

Is it +EV to use this kind of strategy in the SB?
Old 03-12-2007, 06:20 AM

Default Re: SB play

I think the answer is going to be somewhat different if you are talking about limit, NL, or NL tournaments.

However, I'm rather sure that you friend is wrong because of reverse implied odds.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the answer is going to be somewhat different if you are talking about limit, NL, or NL tournaments.

However, I'm rather sure that you friend is wrong because of reverse implied odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

That should have definitely been specified. We are talking about NL cash games and tournaments. The player specifically mentioned tournaments when we were having this conversation. Though believed it to be +EV in both.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:20 AM

There's lots of factors to consider like tightness of BB, table image, stage in tourney, stack size, etc...

It won't take long for bb to figure out what is going on and play back at you, so how well you play OOP post flop, especially with your weaker holdings, is going to make a difference.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:30 AM

I don't like to put myself in tough situations out of position, so I will usually fold really bad hands like 73/92/etc.. I just won't be too aggro from that position, unless I have a good hand.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:11 PM

How you play the SB when folded to depends mainly on the type of player the BB is. For example, Doyle Brunson has said that he will raise in the BB every single time the SB just completes. So forget about 3 to 1 odds against him.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:35 PM

I agree with stake monster. As Doyle Brunson once said "no one wants to get broke in a nothing pot." Why play out of position with a weak holding when youre either going to get raised by the BB or have no idea where you are after the flop? Give the blind a walk with garbage, call with a marginal hand, and raise with a dry ace or better.