Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2007, 07:17 PM

Default QQ near satellite bubble

55$ WSOP sub-satellite. 17 pay, 25 left. I have T16k and am ~8th in chips, avg stack around T10k. Villain has T15k. Blinds 800/1600.

Hero has QQ on the CO. Folds to hero who raises to T4800. Villain, at abt. 25/12, pushes from the SB. Hero???
Old 03-11-2007, 07:21 PM

Default Re: QQ near satellite bubble

Hmm, either you push win and make it, or fold and try to delay it since then you'll be near average stack. Im not good in MTT but I think I fold this.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:23 AM

I'll throw out my thoughts so that someone can tell me where I'm wrong.

While you're in 8th place you're still short stacked. I assume you're going to have to accumulate more chips to win a prize. So will villian. You've got the 4th best starting hand. What better chance are you going to have. As played I puke and then call.

But my question is why did you make a standard raise? You've got less than 10BBs. A standard raise commits 1/3 of your stack. The standard raise gives villian the impression that he's got fold equity by pushing and, apparently, he does. If you'd open pushed he'd be the one facing the tough decision instead of you.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:46 AM

I shove the first time that the action is to me
Old 03-12-2007, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

But my question is why did you make a standard raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question. I guess because the standard raise was indeed the "standard" there [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Only the red zone shorties were open pushing. In general, raisers got played back at very little. I do remember once reading something that berated standard raisers on the satellite bubble, and seemed to imply that open pushing was the only correct action. Doesn't open pushing force anyone after me to play correctly?

BTW, don't I have the 3rd best starting hand here? I made the call, I guess because his 12% pfr led me to believe his resteal range might be wider than the 1% that beats me. Pokerstove gives me 47% equity against {JJ+,AKo,AKs}. Should I avoid flipping in this spot, albeit getting 2:1?
Old 03-12-2007, 02:05 AM

Spete,
I can not explain anything better than these two posts copied below. If you have any question about the threads posted below please feel free to reply in those threads because everyone benefits when they get bumped

Anyone playing in sats needs to read this satellite bible:

Andathar's Guide to Sats v1

Andathar's Guide to Sat v2
Old 03-12-2007, 02:08 AM

You beat me to posting the links [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. As played I would think folding>calling here, push 1st time around though.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:47 AM

I think your range could open up a little to AQs, TT (99)...

I would call here.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:51 AM

ai or fold the first time. ai for me.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:10 AM

YOu have 10bb and need to get some more chips at some stage. Even though you think you are sitting pretty, if you dont increase them, you can get killed on the bubble when 1.5 blinds go through you.

Stack<12bb, shove. Nothing worse than raising with something at 10bb and getting played back at, and unsure of what to do.

SHove it pf, no other choice

I think folding is silly. We have 10bb, and monster number 4 . Seriously, what are we waiting for before we shove, KK in the CO?

If we lose to KK or AA so be it.

One thing i learnt from playing a few sats is that it feels really safe to 'fold into a seat' when you feel comfortable, as you were considering.

Problem is the blind thieves will chip away at you, and then blinds increase so drastically you drown.

I remember in a sat, being third, and 12 paid. I sat on my arse and folded to a seat. I juuuuust made it. I wound up being a short stack, when two orbits went past, and I was shoved into on all occasions, i had junk and had to fold.

I had 10 10 with 3 bb in mp. Shoved, and got called by AK (big stack). I survived, and got a seat, but realised that you must keep accumulating. Yes, avoid the big stacks, (unless you have a monster), but keep playing when appropriate.

Playing a bit aggro when you are a shortish to medium stack will get you blown out a bit, but also will get you comfortably in the money. Particularly when you have shorties behind you, that you can put all in with any 2. Your situation was different, because your life is on the line each time you shove.