Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2007, 09:17 AM

Default wasting my life away

party poker, 1/2 - 10/20 NL:

post party poker (144k hands at ftp, rest at stars)

if that wasnt enough, the last 26k hands are at .5/1 and 1/2

1. games have gotten significantly harder
2. i have gotten significantly worse
3. and/or i was actually a fish all along, and ran hot for ~300k hands
4. i am also running like complete crap

i had an epiphany today. im not cut out for poker. when i run bad, i play bad, and it becomes a vicious circle. this epiphany came to me while i was playing a $24 dollar tournament. 300 runners, final table, im chip leader. i lose one hand KTo < K6s allin pf, and lose KTo < K8 on a KQJx board allin on turn.

i just cant even begin to have a positive mindset. i go into a session thinking "how much ill i lose", and go into a hand thinking "how much will i lose", and once it comes to showdown im thinking "did i lose this to a cooler or because he rivered me".

is it possible i was a fish all along? i mean, its within the reason to run hot for ~300k hands right? look at my party graph it isnt even a normal line, its way too bumpy for a solid players graph

im gonna quit nl hold em. my last shot will be qualifying for monte carlo (final tabled the fpp qualifiers twice already, busted 6th w/top 2 getting 16k prize packages to bad beats), after that, ill be taking up small stakes omaha or better yet, nothing at all. i might come back in a month but it wont be for the $.

peace, im just another once-winning player turned into a fish post-frist bill. its been a fun year and a half, but i have to go apply for an internship now.

~yv
Old 03-11-2007, 11:49 AM

Default Re: wasting my life away

play some limit holdem for a month and you'll have a whole new perspective

odd you're not winning at .5/1 and 1/2 either. i took most of my money out of stars at pca so i've played 11k hands of .5/1 and 1/2 the past couple of months to grind it back up. i'm currently on a 13 buyin downswing over 2200 hands. i really don't get it

also, maybe you'd do well as a coach where your emotions can't harm your ability
Old 03-11-2007, 11:58 AM

I had the same problem its just hard to adjust to the gap between 2/4 and 1/2 (or whatever else you play)
Old 03-11-2007, 12:23 PM

combine graphs, post.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:26 PM

A couple of hours of coaching might help, since your theory is already decent it should make it easier for them to plug your leaks.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:09 PM

I think the responses are funny.

The truth of the matter is, games are a lot tougher now and FAR less profitable. Yes coaching helps and moving down helps, and trying to adjust to different types of opponents helps but it's not really the dominant factor when going between a winning player of 280k hands to a breakeven player over 180K hands.

I've played as high as 10/20 and I play the 100s sometimes now. I consider the 200s my main game.

Krishan
Old 03-11-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The truth of the matter is, games are a lot tougher now and FAR less profitable. Yes coaching helps and moving down helps, and trying to adjust to different types of opponents helps but it's not really the dominant factor when going between a winning player of 280k hands to a breakeven player over 180K hands.

I've played as high as 10/20 and I play the 100s sometimes now. I consider the 200s my main game.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

no decent 10/20 player is ever going to have to play 100NL.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

...knock on wood
Old 03-11-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what about a 5/10 player?

Krishan
Old 03-11-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A couple of hours of coaching might help, since your theory is already decent it should make it easier for them to plug your leaks.

[/ QUOTE ]