Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2007, 09:12 AM

Default Learning guitar

Bought an acoustic guitar two weeks ago and have now finished working through the newbie book. Gave me an okay grasp of where the notes are on the first 3 frets along with some chords to practice.

Could anyone here direct me to their favorite online guitar resources? Forums, lessons... that type of stuff.

And how would you folks structure your practice time? A mixture of chords, scales... work on simple melodies?

I appreciate any advice.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Learning guitar

1. get guitar hero pro.
2. go to ultimate-guitar.com and download your songs' tabs in guitar hero pro version.
3. ???
4. become a rock star
Old 03-11-2007, 10:57 AM

Eidal,

Guitar is a difficult instrument to play. Acoustic guitar is the most difficult of the three main types. Concentrate on sounding each note clearly in open chords, barred shapes and scales. Learn the CAGED system, the book Fretboard Logic is excellent.

Do you know how to read tab yet? The Internet is filled basically with two things, pron and tab, it's everywhere. Put the name of your favorite artist and "tab" and go to town.

Justin Sandercoe has a bunch of instructional videos for noobs on YouTube. Check him out at www.justinguitar.com, it's pretty good stuff.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. get guitar hero pro.
2. go to ultimate-guitar.com and download your songs' tabs in guitar hero pro version.
3. ???
4. become a rock star

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mean "Guitar Pro", which is PC tablature software, and not "Guitar Hero" (pro?), which is a video game where you play on a fake guitar.

But yes, Guitar Pro is excellent software. Even practicing Guitar Hero will probably translate somewhat into increased finger agility in playing real guitar.

For a beginner, I would spend most of your practice time (1) learning the basic chords, and building up finger strength for bar chords, (2) find a couple songs you like that use the chords you know (or can be transposed into a key that uses chords you know), and (3) play these songs a lot until you are really comfortable quickly transitioning between chords.

Save all the melody/lead guitar stuff until you are comfortable with all the chords.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:42 AM

Brittish mag called Guitar Techniques. Available at Borders.

harmonycentral.com

thegearpage.net
Old 03-11-2007, 02:10 PM

Amplify,

Why do you say acoustic is the most difficult? I've heard the CAGED system mentioned before but I haven't actually studied it...

Someone said Fretboard Logic is too advanced for a beginner (I'm on week #2). Still a worthy book to own, I assume?
Old 03-11-2007, 03:13 PM

Eidal,

It's more difficult just because the strings are harder to push down than electric or nylon guitar strings.

Fretboard Logic is a book about how to think about the guitar, so it's appropriate at any level once you can actually make the barre cords, which I assume is beyond you at this point, so it's back to what I said before about making sure that each string sounds clearly in your chord shapes and what Nick said about practicing your transitions from chord to chord. At first, moving from a C to a G seems like a lot of work. Learn a song with C, G and Am such as every acoustic Neil Young song ever and play it a billion times until the changes smooth out.

Then there's some dumb song with F or Bm in it and it's a pain because switching from G to Bm seems impossible. This is the kind of thing to explore before you need to worry about any theory, or even really where any of the actual notes are.

CAGED is just a system of finding chords and scales on the fretboard. There are 5 basic barre chord shapes that can be played on the guitar, C A G E and D. The cool thing is, if you start with an open C, you just move up one fret (above the whole chord shape, not the root) and play a barre A chord shape, and that's C too. Then move up one fret and play a barre G shape (or a simplified version thereof), and that's also C. So, you can move up the fretboard and find chords wherever you are. Minors, sevenths and so forth are easier in some shapes than others, namely E and A. Combine this with a knowledge of scales (which also come in CAGED shapes) and you have a pretty formidable overall method.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. get guitar hero pro.
3. practice 9 hours a day
4. become a rock star
5. drug addiction
6. die young
7. LEGEND

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-12-2007, 01:12 AM

amplify, you should come to EDF and do a guitar post.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:03 AM

remember this progression
C E Am F G

thats all you need to know, seriously.